New iMacs

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by wbeem, Aug 6, 2007.

1. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    With any luck, Apple will introduce new iMacs tomorrow. Rumors are also spinning about new Cinema Screen monitors in 20", 24", and 32" size with built-in iSight cameras (about time). There may be new changes to .Mac, and possibly an announcement of flash-based iPods (though most rumors I've read said these would more likely come next month).

I'm at the point where I need to make a change, so this interests me. My 20" iMac G5 needs a bit more RAM and umph to run Aperture and Photoshop. I've run Onyx to clean it up. That helps, but it only goes so far.

On the other hand, my Core Duo MacBook Pro runs just fine with those apps. It just doesn't have a large enough viewing area. I thought about getting a Cinema display for it and keeping the iMac G5 for my music, e-mail, and web stuff.

Even so, it's a minor annoyance to have my photos on one machine and everything else on another. So I'm still a little torn between buying a new 24" iMac or getting the 30" (or new 32"?) Cinema display.

I'm hoping something will rock my world tomorrow.

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I'm looking forward to any announcements as well.

We'll see. I'd love to have a 32" CD with Isight. that would rock connected to my mac mini. :smile:

3. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I hear conflicting reports on the Mini. Some people say it's going to die, others say there's a revised version coming out. That's what I like about rumors - there's one for everybody.

4. Rumors are bouncing all over the place -- guess we will all just have to wait until 10:00 AM Pacific time to find out some answers....

Probably the Apple Cinema Displays are due for an update, but personally, I'm perfectly happy with mine (which don't have the built-in iSight camera. I don't take advantage of that feature on my MBP now, why would I on an ACD?) As for the size, for me, the 30" is more than sufficient for most applications and for photo editing.... while I love mine for working with photos and seeing each and every little pixel if I have to do so, I find that for general everyday stuff it's a bit much. I FINALLY realized (thanks to Larry!) that I could at least make the cursor arrow bigger so that I wouldn't keep losing the darned thing!

It looks pretty certain that we'll see new iMacs tomorrow, with a newly designed form factor and such.... and it's looking pretty good that we'll also be seeing some long-overdue upgrades to dot mac, possibly even be offered a new update to iWork and iLife..... There will undoubtedly be some new integration with the iPhone with one or both of those applications. It certainly would be welcomed by those of us who use dot mac for synchronizing several Macs and the iPhone!

Wistful thinking (on my part) is projecting the introduction of some sort of ultraportable device, possibly a touchscreen one, more-or-less a larger version of the iPhone.... Even an ultraportable version of the MBP (with or without touchscreen) would be more than welcome. There are times when even the 15"MBP feels a bit too heavy and too large when traveling....

The Mac Mini is either going to be upgraded in a wonderful way or totally tossed aside.... It would be too bad to see this neat little device thrust into end-of-life status, but that is a possibility. Some people on MacRumors are predicting some sort of blending of the Mac Mini and the Apple TV....

I really don't think we will see any news about iPods tomorrow. I think that this particular session will be devoted to Macs and to software applications, in whatever form.... Yes, I am sure that in the not-so-distant future we WILL be seeing new iPods and new form factors for them, but probably not just yet.

Tomorrow looks to be an interesting day for us Mac people....

5. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I've also seen tons of photos of the "new" iMacs popping up here and there , as well as the "new" keyboards ... I'm far from wanting to replace my iMac and Macbook but I'm still eager to see what today's annoucement will be about :866:

6. Dare I hope?

I was this >< close to getting a 24” iMac but was put off by the screen brightness/calibration issue as well as the cost of going above 2 gigs of RAM. I have gone through the steep learning curve of color management, monitor calibration (I use a Spyder2), etc. and have been living in my-prints-look-like-my-monitor hog heaven for about threes years now. I am loath to go back to square 1. HOWEVER, my eMac (yes “e” not “i”) is getting a bit long in the tooth (maxed out at 1 gig RAM) and running CS2 is (while not painfully) slow and upgrading to CS3 seems to beg for the new Intel-based machines. Therefore, I hope that the new iMac 24” is in my future with the screen brightness and RAM cost issues addressed. Dare I hope?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2007
  7. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Well Thos in less than an hour we'll see ... :biggrin:

edit : hum the applestore is closed ...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2007
  8. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    New aluminum iMacs , new thin keyboards , iLife 08 can't wait for the Applestore to open to see these toys in detail !!

9. Logan

Logan Guest

WOOHOO now all i have to do is save the money to buy one =[

10. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Here they are .

I'm not too keen on the black border and black Apple logo though ... but those keyboards do look nice, and less prone to dirt than the previous models. H:biggrin:um now if only I could see those for real ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Logan

Logan Guest

OMG! they are B-E-A-UTIFUL!!!!!

12. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    So Logan , how long do you think before Connie's next post ? :tongue:

13. Logan

Logan Guest

well, depending on traffic... a couple hours :wink:

14. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I don't care much for the black border, but I do like the anodized aluminum back in black. Since there was no mention of an updated Cinema display, I think I'm going to get a 24" model.

Unfortunately, I can't check prices in the Education or Corporate store due to errors/Down notices. It's still pretty cool that they upped the specs and lowered the price. I bet the folks who bought a 24" iMac just outside the return window are ****ed.

15. Logan

Logan Guest

i know, but they had to be expecting that something new was just around the corner... they have been out for some time... thats the thing with electronics... there is always something better... and hey that 24'' imac that they just bought is still as good today as it was yesterday

16. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Gah, why did they have to keep the "chin"? The aluminum accents on the black look nice, but the chin is ugly. I'm not a fan of glossy, either, so seeing Apple going in that direction is disappointing.

I ordered a keyboard, though, and it will be here later this week. I love laptop keys, and this one has more buttons, so it should be nice.

17. Logan

Logan Guest

what exactly do you mean by chin? the couple ince margin at the bottom of the screen? idk, if thats what your talkin about, i kinda like it :smile:

18. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Yes. It makes the whole thing look out of balance, in my opinion. Looks are subjective, though.

19. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I guess I don't mind one way or the other if they have that space at the bottom. Perhaps it's a design element, or perhaps the guts just take more space than the screen.

Ok, the price for the 24" model dropped $200 and the specs went up. The education discount is now $100 instead of $200. My corporate discount is (oddly) $108. I'll see if they have a stock model with the 500 GB drive this weekend at the store, and get my RAM elsewhere. Apple wants way too much for RAM.

20. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    Dude, that's where you put your Post-it notes :smile: