New iPad Pros

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Terri French, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    About a hundred years ago, when I was young, o_O I was a pretty good artist. I loved to draw and even started out as an art major in college. But when I realized that a commercial artist would probably need to live in a big city, I changed my mind. I'm a small town girl at heart and felt that was where I wanted to spend my life. Anyway, raising a family and life in general took my time and my art talents fell by the wayside. I did crafting, sewing, and quilting for many years as a creative outlet, and photography has been my creative outlet for the past 12 years or so. I have enjoyed it so much and don't plan to quit. But, something inside of me has always wanted to see if I could draw and paint again. Last Christmas I got a 9.7" iPad Pro and an apple pencil. I bought the Procreate App and love the potential it offers. But the small form factor of the smaller ipad just was too small for me to enjoy drawing on it. I have been waiting for a newer 12.9" iPad pro to come out. I just went to a local store and saw one in person!! The display is amazing!!! They didn't have the configuration I wanted and didn't know when they would be available, so I came home and preordered one on B&H. I can cancel that order should one become available locally. I'm patient and will wait until the space gray, 256 gb , wifi one is available. I'm pretty excited about it!! Maybe I will see if some of my photos can become an inspiration for some art work!! I guess I could always just use paper and a pencil, but that is so boring when you can have a beautiful iPad with every kind of brush, pencil, marker, pen, etc. built into the interface!!

Are any of you buying either of the new iPad Pros?

• Like Like x 1
  2. mobokeh

mobokeh

Jun 4, 2012
    I will probably buy one of the new iPad Pro tablets. Like you, it will be Space Gray, as I prefer a black frame(vs white) around my screen. My primary reason for purchasing, will be because of the Affinity Photo app.

Good luck with the new iPad Pro, Terri! Please post your impressions here, once you've put it through its paces.

3. No surprise to anyone here who knows me, I am tempted and probably will be doing so.......! I have the first-gen 12.9 iPad and I love it. I'm no artist but nonetheless I really like the larger screen -- great for videos, great for reading! Especially in the nice weather I enjoy sitting out on my deck with the big iPad on a table and catching up with my email, forums, etc. I use the Apple BT Magic Keyboard with it and that works well for doing a lot of typing. I use the pencil as a stylus some of the time, too.

I also have the 9.7 iPad Pro and that is my carry-with-me iPad which also accompanies me on trips out of town and so on. I also enjoy using it in bed on cold winter mornings and cold winter evenings, too. Each of them has its own role to play in my life. Now Apple has brought out the new 10.5 size..... Last week I popped into the Apple store to look at it and boy, is it FAST!!! Beautiful screen, too. Unfortunately that day I didn't have my iPad 9.7 with me and before I make any final decisions I want to take my current iPad 9.7 with me in the bag that I usually use so that I can compare the two side-by-side and also see if the new iPad will fit into my bag. It should, the size difference isn't THAT much, but I want to make sure anyway.

So now I'm debating about what I want to do, if I want to hang on to my first-gen iPad 12.9 and just replace the 9.7 with the 10.5 and sell the 9.7 or if I will want to eventually replace both of them (not at the same time!). Decisions, decisions....

The one thing which involves no decision-making is the color. Space Grey, just like every iPad I've had since Day One! The black bezels make the colors pop on the screen. Getting the larger capacity is also a no-brainer, as I find that occasionally I've had to remove something from my iPads due to insufficient space.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  4. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    I have to confess I am not a huge Apple fan in spite of a couple of iPads, iMac and an iPhone or two within the family. Not saying that there is anything particularly wrong apart from what I see as Apples grip on devices that are ours.

Anyway that aside have you compared the Apple device to the MS Surface Pro. To my mind at least this on spec is as good if not better with potentially more options. One area being the all important screen re resolution and brightness which I think the Surface Pro scores highly.
    Microsoft Surface Pro vs. Apple iPad Pro: These are no amateur tablets

Just a thought something you may have overlooked?

5. Well..... Can't speak for anyone else, but I've been a confirmed Apple product user since 2005 and can't imagine ever going back to any Microsoft product. Ugh!! That's just me, though.......

Aside from that, there's really much more to this than just looking at specs. User experience and user requirements, wants and needs for a particular item are important to take into consideration. Terri has specifically mentioned that she wants to get back into art, and for that the iPad Pro really shines, as the article writer mentions:

"The iPad’s display feels like it’s built specifically for artists, and the Apple Pencil feels like a natural addition. Pressure sensors in the iPad and the Pencil automatically respond to your touch, adjusting the width and depth of lines accordingly. Using the Pencil, you’ll notice nearly zero lag, giving the experience a surreal feeling, and it conveniently plugs directly into any Lightning port for quick charging."

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  6. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    On the contrary specs are important particularly the screen real estate the MS product being a little brighter and a very small gain in ppi, bottom line seems to be one point ahead MS!

Serious about art either the Surface Studio or Wacom Cintique, assuming deep pockets of course :D

7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I appreciate all the discussion! I use both Microsoft products and Apple products. I like the way all my apple products work together easily, although I'm sure I could do the same thing with Microsoft products. I don't make any major purchase without thinking it through very carefully. I think it's all personal preference. I really enjoy my Apple products. I don't want a tablet to double as a laptop. I bought a MacBook Pro last year as well as a new iMac. I am already familiar with the Procreate App and would like to continue drawing with it. I just want a larger drawing surface. That surface studio looks incredibly amazing, though.....if only money wasnt an issue.....

8. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Just before these new "pro" IPads were announced I picked up one of the new Ipads, got the one with 128gb of storage. Took it to Hawaii last month foe 3 weeks, it worked great. I doubt I'll be getting a new one, my son has a 12.9 inch one I can use. It spends most of it's life in a drawer.

9. DROOL! I try not to watch those Surface Studio videos as they are too tempting.

Sean

10. As I said, a purchaser's specific needs and preferences really come into play even more than specs, but I agree that of course one needs to take a look at the specs and what is on offer.....that should not be the only consideration, though. If someone is interested in a tablet for what it can do for an artist and if that individual already has other products which will work seamlessly with that same particular item, and if the customer is not interested in choosing something that will serve as a sort-of-pseudo-laptop as well because he or she already has a perfectly fine laptop, then while the Microsoft Surface may be alluring to some people if it isn't what someone else wants, then in the latter case, regardless of its specs it is going to be dropped off the table when purchase decisions are being made.

Some people may be interested in the larger 12.9 iPad Pro not for artistic purposes but for other reasons. Some may choose to stick with Apple regardless because they already have a number of other Apple products and the new one under consideration would fit right in and synchronize seamlessly with the others. Some people are OS-and-system agnostic and use whatever tool best suits their needs and budget. Others are very attached to Microsoft products. There's something for all of us out there..... :)

11. I am writing on the 10.5 with the Smart Keyboard and I am enjoying it so far. I haven't used the pencil because the stupid me mistakenly ordered the pencil case instead of the pencil itself.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. Tsk, tsk, Phil! Gotta get the actual PENCIL, dontcha know?! LOL! Did you have the 9.7 iPad Pro or an earlier 9.7 sized iPad previously? If so, do you notice a significant difference in the screen and the physical build of the device? I probably won't get back to the Apple store until some time next week with my current 9.7 iPad Pro in hand (in my usual carrying bag, that is) to actually do some comparing.....

13. Connie you should see my reaction when I found there was only a paper roll in the pencil case instead the expected pencil.

I have the 1st and 2nd gen iPad and then an iPad Mini. The display is obviously much better and it also runs faster. Can't wait for IOS 11.

14. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    Hi Terri
    Sounds like the Apple products may be the preferred route for you and that is how it should be your money your choice. The alternative of Surface Pro or Studio pro mentioned really based on your comment of amazing screen which is not just limited to i products

15. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    Connie, I do not necessarily disagree with your sentiments and it is obvious that you are an Apple fan which is absolutely fine. But what you say applies equally to the MS products e.g. An iPad can serve as a pseudo laptop - in fact attach one of the popular keyboards and that is what you have got!

I really do not mind what OS I use if it gets the job done nor do I care what others use or if they have a preference/prejudice, although I will react to claims of superiority that are based purely on subjective opinion. Having said that my preferences as tool of choice (tools are all these are) for a number of reasons, in order are Windows, Android, iOS.

So it will come as no surprise that when screen quality and art mentioned in the first post that I suggested the Surface or Studio Pro for consideration.

16. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    I agree when I first saw this "WOW" MS out appled Apple concept and design - well maybe not as up until fairly recently MS not seriously a hardware company.

Still as much as I like the design I think overall I prefer a system that is easy to upgrade/repair such as a bulky midi or tower PC :D Mind you I would not refuse or be ungrateful to anyone that wanted to gift me one - MS do you hear me ? :cool:

17. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    We are so blessed to have so many amazing tools to use. Those surface products really are beautiful. I think it's great that Microsoft is giving Apple some serious competition with the quality of products it is producing. We all benefit from that!

18. LOL! I can imagine how totally gobsmacked you were to find just a paper roll!!! LOL!!!! I like the pencil but don't really use it for drawing and artistic attempts, but more as a stylus. I don't take my pencil when I'm going out somewhere and at home I use what was meant to be a bathroom glass (it's plastic) as a pencil cup for that pencil only. I also keep the piece that is used when charging it via a USB adapter in that cup, too, for convenience and when I remove the cap for charging it goes right into the cup, too. So far, no pieces have been lost!

iOS 11 is going to make a huge difference from everything I've been reading on MacRumors -- it will be great on older devices but will really shine on the newest ones.

19. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I appreciated your suggestion. I think it's great to weigh all options!

20. Right now, prior to iOS 11, for me the iPad does NOT serve as a pseudo laptop. After taking a couple of trips with just the iPad alone and being frustrated when there were things I could not do with it, I reverted back to taking a laptop along on trips which are more than just overnight. My lightweight 12" 2016 MacBook works wonderfully for this purpose. At home, I do use a BT Magic keyboard with my iPad when sitting out on my deck to make typing easier and faster, but there have been a couple of occasions when I've had to come into the house and grab my MacBook in order to have a "real" computer to use for some particular task. iOS 11 very well may change all that, since at last we will have a file system there in our mobile devices, and I am definitely looking forward to that!