New IR filter...

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by JMartin, Jul 26, 2005.

1. JMartin

JMartin Guest

I usually use my Coolpix 950 for my IR shooting, but did not want to have to carry around the extra camera when shooting.

I also did not want to spend the $80 plus on the Hoya, a filter I would not use much, but remembered a web site I used to visit and the owner mention an IR filter he used when he first bought his D100.

I contacted the company and they offered their IR filters for under $45/inc. shipping, half the price of the Hoya, so I ordered one. It just came in the mail today and I took a quick shot with it while loading the car for soccer tonight. I will definately do some real experimenting more this week.

Though this shot will not do the filter justice, here is my quick snap shot.
    [​IMG]

I used Yves' technique as a starting point for the processing, though quickly found myself experimenting. I also quickly noticed looking at Yves' shots, he was using a much long exposure time than my shot, which would explain the amount of noise in my shot.

Shooting Data
    Camera model: NIKON D100
    Camera version: Ver.2.00
    Original date/time: 2004:07:26 15:56:55
    Lens: 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G
    Sensitivity: ISO 200
    Exposure time: 1/20
    F-stop: 3.5
    Focal length: 24.0000
    Focal length (35mm): 36
    Flash: Not fired
    Exposure mode: Aperture priority
    White balance: Direct sunlight +1
    Exposure comp: +2.0 EV
    Metering mode: Multi-Pattern

Thanks for looking, comments and critiques always appreciated!
    Joe

2. Cool shot! This style of shooting definitely interests me. The price of the filter is such that I could see if it is for me. Would you share where this bargain comes from?

Thanks.

3. Not a bad first shot.

What brand is the filter ?

Wahr is his NM value ?

Are you custom WB on the green grass ?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2007
  4. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Thanks for posting all the info to help get a quick start on setup Yves! I am just hoping I can get some shots that look as good as yours.

The filter is a Harrison & Harrison 89-B.

Not sure what an NM value is, if it refers to the light being absorbed, this filter absorbs light below 670mu.

I actually shot this at Sunny +1, but in processing used the eye dropper to select a light area in the leaves in the first tree on the right.

I still have a lot of playing around (isn't this true with everything we try to learn in life), but I am happy with the first shot using the D100. Especially since it was just a quick setup and snap as I was loading the car to run to my daughter's soccer banquet.

I was just excited to see them in the mail. When I ordered them she said they would ship on Monday, so didn't expect to see them until at least Friday.

Greg, here is the company info:
    Harrison & Harrison Optical Engineers, Inc.
    1835 Thunderbolt Drive, Unit "E"
    Porterville, CA 93257-9300
    Phone: +(559) 782-0121
    Toll free within the USA only: 1-(877) 213-6787
    FAX: +(559) 782-0824
    Office & factory hours: 7:00am to 3:00pm, Monday through Friday
    "75 YEARS OF PROGRESS IN PHOTOGRAPHY THROUGH FILTERS."
    1929 - 2004
    HarrisonOP@aol.com

Joe

5. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Joe, that's really a cool toy...thanks for sharing the info...i hope to have one of those very soon! Hope you, Jennifer, Lindsey and Ashley are doing well!

6. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Thanks Leigh!

I like doing B&W and IR a lot, and being able to do IR with my D100 will make it just that much easier to do it.

Here is an old photo using my Coolpix 950 and Kodak Wratten 87 Gel Filter:
    [​IMG]

I like the black and white look of the IR, but seeing Yves' photos with the blue skies and some with the red tint to them really sparked an interest in getting some shots like that. The ghostly look with some color is just awesome!

Joe

7. Thanks.

8. I'm pretty interested in that 87 H&H has as well, but I'm starting out with the 89-B, for the exact reason that it does allow just a little of the visible spectrum color to leak in with the IR. I am dreaming of the possibilities of color processing IR shots in separate channels. Mine is on order now :)