New Jersey Porsche Club driving event

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by PistolPete, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Driving event held by the Northern NJ Porsche club at the Pocono Int'l Raceway on 4/7/07.

Temps were in the upper 20's and you can see the snow coming down in some of the photos!

I've been hibernating all winter and this was the first chance to try my D200 at a car event. I"m still trying to figure out the best focusing mode to use.

Back last September, I tried using my 2 day old D200 at the track and was a bit overwhelmed by all the choices.

My previous camera was a Nikon FA so I was used to manual focusing with no motor drive, talk about living in the Stone Age!

Here are some samples from yesterday:

large.

Look at the snow!

View attachment 89511

View attachment 89512

View attachment 89513

The rest are here:

http://www.pbase.com/pistolpete13/nnjr1

2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    Great shots. I just love the 997 GT3. My dream car is the 997 GT3 RS. I'm half tempted to sell my house the get one. Awesome car.

Man, if the temp was upper 20s, I can imagine there were lots of grip problems. Did you shoot any spinouts? Surely there had to be some. Those high performance tires barely work at all once it dips below the 40s.

3. Believe me, the guys were really careful on the turns with these temps.

I didn't see any spinouts during the time I was there.

The stock tires on the GT3 are Michellin Pilot Sport Cups and I'm sure they had the traction of a hockey at these temps.

Those spring temps back in January are coming back to haunt us now.

4. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    No doubt. I had standard Pilot Sports on my M3 until recently. To get enough grip into them I'd have to get their temps up to about 150 deg, and that's pushing it hard in summer. Driving Pocono in sub 30s would surely be a white knuckle experience for me. :eek: