New Laptop Recommendations

My 4 year old Dell is on it's way out so looking for a new laptop. Win 10, 15" screen, i7, at least 16 gb RAM, dedicated nVidia graphics card and at least 512 GB HD. I've looked at Acer and Lenovo. I've only had Dell since my first Gateway desktop in 1991 but I'm not at all happy with the poor build quality on my current laptop (case is separating, power cord ready to come off the connector, wifi dying).
Looking for a recommendation, would consider other brands as well. Both the ones I mention are in the $1500-1700 range which is where I want to be.
Thanks

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I can tell you that my little Acer laptop is now over 10 years old and works perfectly. It has been on many trips with me all over the world. By modern standards it is a bit slow, but it runs the latest Windows 10 well. It should have quite a few more years of life still.
(I upgraded it myself a few years ago putting in a 1TB Samsung SSD, and giving it 8GB memory instead of the original 4GB, and that extended its useful life.)
I'm horrified by the idea of buying a computer and have it last only 4 years.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I now have an HP Elitebook and absolutely love it. It has an i7 processor and 16 gb ram. Light weight. 13" screen. I'm sure they have a 15' version.

I have an Elitebook 745 G4, boosted the ram to 32gb, put two ssds, one 1TB the traditional SSD e other 512GB of the memory like kind.
Despite being “simply” an AMD A10 pro, it rocks. I use it in addition to my MacBook Pro.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the thoughts. Looks like most places have a 30-60 day wait.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
We got an HP Envy 360 for my wife 13" with I7, 16GB and 512TB SSD. Not cheap but rocksolid and very light & fast, would definitely recommend it.

When I was to to order my new laptop, I looked up an 15" HP with and I9, 32GB RAM, 4k, and 2 TB NVME storage. I was quite disappointed and sent it back, Fan was VERY noisy, keyboard was flimsy, and screen was not anti-reflective (I asked and HP said it was before i bought it) So I sent it back.

And then called Dell and told them that their 15" XPS model of the I9 with 64 gb, 4K, 2 tb NVME drive was too expensive (compared to the HP ;-) and I really only wanted 32GB ram. Dell told me that they couldn't take off the 32GB ram but they offered to take off $200 of the price instead, and they threw in soem more warranty when I asked for it!

The Dell is less noisy with the fan but not perfect when I run Topaz AI de Noise, seem to be solidly built, and the screen is great with no real reflection in it.

Finally another comment: Is it worth it to go to an I9 compared to an I7? Not really.......

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
We got a HP Envy 360 13" with I7, 16GB and 512TB SSD. Not cheap but rocksolid and very light & fast, would definitely recommend it.

When I was to to order my new laptop, I looked up an 15" HP with and I9, 32GB RAM, 4k, and 2 TB NVME storage. I was quite disappointed and sent it back, Fan was VERY noisy, keyboard was flimsy, and screen was not anti-reflective (I asked and HP said it was before i bought it) So I sent it back.

And then called Dell and told them that their 15" XPS model of the I9 with 64 gb, 4K, 2 tb NVME drive was too expensive (compared to the HP ;-) and I really only wanted 32GB ram. Dell told me that they couldn't take off the 32GB ram but they offered to take off $200 of the price instead, and they threw in soem more warranty when I asked for it!

The Dell is less noisy with the fan but not perfect when I run Topaz AI de Noise, seem to be solidly built, and the screen is great with no real reflection in it.

Finally another comment: Is it worth it to go to an I9 compared to an I7? Not really.......
What were those prices approximately?

I recently bought my daughter an HP envy 360 13" It is rock solid, light and very fast. The bezel surrounding the screen is so thin that this 13" seems to have more screen realestate than the 15" it replaced. It is so nice I was tempted to get one for my self; I just don't need one at this time or I would.

I tried to buy the new Dell 13" with the same level components and they could not (would not?) come close to the price of the HP.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom