New Lens, new world.

It appears I was not alone when I recently picked up a 105 F2.8 micro lens in a for sale forum thread.

I've enjoyed viewing macro work for years, but never really tried to do much. You guys provide a high bar to shoot for. :)

Inspired by Terri's lovely work, I'll jump in too.

Full disclosure: I have no macro experience. I am a birding & wildlife enthusiast, by & large. This will be demonstrated by my use of TC's on my macro lens. So far, I've played with it on my Z6 & Z50, with both 1.4x & 2x TC's and native. Thus far, I've been hand holding and shooting insects in a blowing bush in my backyard thanks to COVID.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's a few with TC's. I'm sure this probably goes against macro best practices, but it was fun playing.

These are your first macro images? Nah, couldn't be. Nobody begins with images this good.
Thank you, Mike. You're too kind. Yea, I just bought the lens from a FS section on one of the forums because it seemed like a good deal. I've admired macro photography for some time and gone as far as watching some videos. From what I've "observered", I need to find a way to get a lot closer too, and steady the subject. These were a lot of fun, and kinda like miniature bird photography - on the move. :)

You're off to a good start. The crane fly in the 3rd picture of the 1st post is particularly nice.

Larry
Thanks Larry. I've always called them TX Mosquitos. Lol. I've certainly never seen that much detail on them though. It looks like they have some sort of balance tubes (?) just behind the wings.

these look great Phil
Much appreciated, Randy.

Beautiful!
Thank you, Mr. Coyote.

Based upon these examples, I'm thinking that you've "flattened the curve" - the learning curve for macro photography, that is! :D
If I can help flatten the curve, count me in! Thank you, Eric.

These are really nice shots, Phil! It seems that macro was waiting for you!
Thanks Dossy. It certainly is intriguing. I have a heckuva lot to learn, but that's true across the board. :)

BTW nothing wrong w using a tc for macro as you can tell by your pics
Good to know, Randy. I see many use extension tubes, so I tried what I am comfortable with.

Nice ones - new world for sure.
Thanks Allan. That may be my "understatement of the day". Sure is fun though.

Thanks Larry. I've always called them TX Mosquitos. Lol. I've certainly never seen that much detail on them though. It looks like they have some sort of balance tubes (?) just behind the wings.
Those are called halteres and as you surmised, they are used for balance. All insects have 4 wings and in flies (Order Diptera), the hind pair has evolved into halteres.

Larry

Those are called halteres and as you surmised, they are used for balance. All insects have 4 wings and in flies (Order Diptera), the hind pair has evolved into halteres.

Larry
Thanks for sharing, Larry. That is very interesting. I noticed that there appear to be "angle cut-like" ends on these "halteres" which led me to believe they could easily be used to "measure" or compare pressure or air speed.

I never considered the fact that seeing such new detail would stimulate curiosity and new learning opportunities.

Thanks for sharing, Larry. That is very interesting. I noticed that there appear to be "angle cut-like" ends on these "halteres" which led me to believe they could easily be used to "measure" or compare pressure or air speed.

I never considered the fact that seeing such new detail would stimulate curiosity and new learning opportunities.
Curiosity is great, isn't it?

L

I went out in the yard during my lunch break today to see what sorta macro fun I could have. There was little action at this time & it was pretty breezy so just about everything was blowing.

It would have been great if a dragonfly had come down close. 15' was about as close as one ever came. This shot is with the 105 + 1.4x TC on the Z50. It shows me that this lens to be viable for much more than macro. :)

50047684373_880844ae7b_o.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom