New lens

Discussion in 'People' started by Duschoolboy, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    I just got a D200 and a Tamron 17-50mm and I was itching to try it out. Heres a pick that I took of Dylan. I want to get better at this and your not going to hurt my feelings, so please your comments (good and bad) are welcome.
    original.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2007
  2. It's a great shot with good conversion. For me the hands don't add anything and actually serve as a distraction. They kind of fight with the face for attention.

3. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Mike, Firt off congrads on the new equipment. :cool: As for the photo I'm not the most qualified on portraits so it looks nice, focus is right on lighting is good.

4. Nice shot Mike.

Maybe you could tone down the hands a little. Possibly put them in another layer and pull the exposure down a little so that they don't compete with the face as Gordon has mentioned.

Enjoy the new gear!

5. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    Thanks Gordon. I looked at trying to take the hands out but really couldnt and keep his head in the shot. I will try this shot again and keep that in mind. thanks for the imput!

6. Adorable boy! As Gordon said the hands are a distraction.

7. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    It didnt take me long to realize that I like the D200. My brother in law has the Tammy and I have wanted one for a while.

8. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    Roy, I will try and do that. I am really new to PP and it may take a while. Thanks!

9. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

he sure is a good looking kid...not that i have a clue at pp but if i were u i would get a hold of Woody's skin formula and put it to work...lovely image here (fade the hands) ...;-))

10. Good looking boy indeed. Only gripe i have is the nose shadow, a little to big and strong for my taste. Other then that i think its great.

/Paul L.

11. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    Nute...thanks. I have not tried Woody's skin formula yet but, i have it saved in my favorites. I will try it.

After you said something about the shadow, it does seem a little dark. I am goin to edit the photo tonight and resubmit. Thanks

12. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I like it all. I, on the other hand (no pun intended)...love the little boys hands. I like to look back at my son's pictures and say..."ahhh look how little his feet were...look how little his hands are...look how little he is period!".

13. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    I agree. I like to see some of thier "charecter" in the photo. I guess its all in what the customer wants. Like Frank said in another post, you want to find that money shot and its not always what you the photographer think is the better shot. Those spontanious shots are sometimes the best.

14. his hands are huge!

did you shoot this in the 17-30mm range? If you did you really have to be careful about things infront of other things looking bigger than they should.

Other than that I'd suggest more of a fill light or something to open up the shadows just a tad... but really the light did more for this picture than the lens - not knocking the lens, but it takes a back seat in this situation.

15. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    I took the pic @ 36mm f4 1/60th. Here is a crop of the same picture. original.

16. now his ear looks big.