New lighting attempt.

Discussion in 'People' started by cwilt, Aug 30, 2005.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I know this is flat lighting as that is what I was after with this first attempt. Notice the highlights in her eyes. Does anyone like this? I can't decide if I should PS it out or not. After some more experiments I will post a picture of the setup. Everything is handheld. :wink:

Critiques please. Give it to me straight. :wink:

34155435-L.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2005
  2. I have never been opposed to nice even lighting on children. As to the highlights in the eyes I would not PS them out. It gives a sparkle to the eye and is an advantage not a disadvantage. I might eliminate one of the two tiny catchlight in the pupil. What kind of a lighting setup are you using?

3. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I have 2 flashes mount on the D2x in portrait mode and I may add a third. Strange but I prefer the extra weight.

4. When there are highlights in the eyes, they're called catchlights. A single catchlight isn't objectionable, but multiple catchlights can be distracting. I'd clone out one of them.

By the way, you show a 24-70/2.8 lens in your signature block. I'm guessing that's a typo...

5. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    oops.... :redface:

6. Offhand I would say I would prefer to not have the catch light on her irises. Just my two bits. Lovely photograph in any case. I love that smile.

I like the pupil lights.

With darker eyes such as my two boys, I have yet to figure out how to bring out any color in their irises. They are just these deep pools of dark. Any ideas on that would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    First of all, I want to say you really nailed the skintones and the exposure on this one. Did you preset the WB?
    The main thing that bugs me about these particular catchlights is that they're so darned tiny, not necessarily that there are 2 of them. I've seen beaucoup studio and portrait shots with double catchlights. But, since these are so tiny, they could easily be mistaken for something else, like a hot pixel, dust on your sensor, or even some sort of strange specular highlight. As they are, if it were my shot, I'd clone them out. jmho, and, of course, ymmv :tongue: :biggrin:

8. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    My son has brown eyes and it is hard to bring the color out in his eyes as well. I try to get them to look at something that is bright so that the pupil is smaller and use the flash bring it out. Sometimes it takes a lot of light to bring the color out. Just like some birds need brillant light to show thier true colors.

That was probably of little help, sorry.

9. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Spot meter, i-TTL with FV Lock, and flash compensation for her skin tone works well for this. Thanks. WB was set to flash and was not adjust in post.

I agree that the catchlights are tiny. What I found interesting about them is that they are so close together. I have not seen other images with 2 catchlights this close and was curious what others thought about it. I may add 2 small softboxes to this rig and see where it takes me. I'm sorry to say, but I may torture you with more images of my kids.

Thanks for the opinions. Keep'em coming.

10. Shoot two images exactly the same except overexpose one of them. Using layers and masking in PS use the pupils from the overexposed image with the correctly exposed image.

11. That's a good idea. While it is nearly impossible to get a 20 month or 3 year old to sit still, I should be able to match up their irises without any trouble.

Also an interesting job for the D2X's bracketing feature.

12. Set your dodge tool to Shadows and 10-20% and make the brush a bit smaller than the Iris and carefully make several passes in an arc over the lower 4/5 of the iris to lighten.

A natural iris is shaded at the top by the eyelid and darker on the outside circumference, just lightening the entire iris gives an unnatural "pop-eyed" look.

IMO, of course.

Woody

13. This seems like an overly complex solution to get the desired effect.

I recently stumbled on a little trick that seems to be very effective for certain eye types. Use the lassoo to select the iris of each eye then copy onto a new layer. Change the mode to Screen to lighten the eye. Use the eraser to undo the lightening effect to the pupil and clean up the perimeter of the iris if the selection was sloppy. Adjust the opacity to taste. This seems to work very well with eye of a lighter tone. I've tried it with very dark brown eyes just for kicks and it can work.

Alternately, I typically follow Woody's method for eye enhancement. Initially I used a arc to enhance but now typically create small "hash marks" with the dodge tool to make the effect more natural. There is a trick to pulling this off naturally. Might be a great thread for the Retouching Forum.