New Lights - Westcott TD6 Spidelites

I have been trying to find a light setup for my studio that will fit my wants and needs. I am wanting to create the old masters style of lighting like Monte Zucker uses.

First set was an old pair of White Lighting 5000 series. I picked up a set of 3 for $300 plus some related items and thought this would be a good way to get started. Two issues that I ran across. The first being only 3 power settings. Althought the lights had plenty of power, they were too bright for my small studio. The second issue was accessories were very limited. I like shooting with softboxes and there were not that many choices.

I sold the set and purchased a pair of Photogenics 1250s. These were very powerfull light and had 8 power settings (I think it was 8). And there were a lot of choices for softboxes. I ordered a large 3'x4' and a 12"x36" strip light.
But then ran into the same issue, too much power. I put the lights on the lowest setting and still had too much light coming out. So I sold the set.

I had attended a class being taught by Clay Blackmore and he used the Westcott TD5 spiderlites. So that was my next step. Right before I was getting ready to order them, I attended another class taught by Sandy Puc and she was demo-ing the new TD6s and then I was sold.

The week the lights came in my 17 year old broke his wrist (skateboarding), two lens I ordered were stolen from my front porch and then my car broke down while driving on a Boy Scout campout that was about 120 miles from home.

So after all that and getting the lens re-ordered, I finally found some time to get the TD6s setup. (I had sold my 2.8 lens to fund other items for my studio and for about 2 weeks had no lens which took it's toll on me )

Setup was fairly straight-forward and did not have any issues with the first light. Had the 36x48 softbox and it was easier to assemble that other softboxes I have used in the past.

Went to set up the 2nd light and as soon as I plugged it in, a huge spark happened at the wall outlet and tripped a breaker. Removed the 6 lightbulbs, made sure the power switch was turned off and tried it again. Same results so there is some short in the head.

Contacted Westcott and they sent out a pre-paid label to have the head shipped back. It's in transist to Ohio so this gives me a good test for their customer service. I have never purchased any Westcott equipment so this is a first for me and their customer service. So far they have been professisonal and polite.

I am only using one light with the large softbox and a 4'x6' Larson reflector. I like the results with the light so far, but as others have stated, I have to use a slower shutter speed. I am using 60 @ 4.5 with ISO at 400.

Camera is a D700 and the lens is the Nikon 28-105mm.

I've attached a few images along with the simple setup of the session.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

and one of my son going to his first prom

some nice lighting there, but why didnt you just get some strobes with lesser watt seconds? I have a pair of 150w/s and those work really will with a small studio and lets you use 1/250 at iso 100 and like f7.1-f11, knowing everything will be sharp and still, as opposed to just continuous light that is limited to its output. just a thought i guess.

I am combining video and still images into my sessions and the continous light seemed to be a good fit. Also, I don't normally use a large DOF on portraits as I like the background to be out of focus.

The only time I use a large DOF is with commercial/catalog images and then I am on a tripod for the longer exposures.

When my second head gets returned from the factory, I should be able to bump up the shutter speed. With just the one head, I am limited to 1/60 which is a little slow when photographing little ones. Then I would like to use the higher shutter speed that you are able to use. It's a trade-off for me at this point.

Little late to this thread but I have the same set Spiderlite setup. I like it...taken me awhile...and I'm still experimenting.

Here are some of my test shots

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom