New mac book pro

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by bmiller, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Well i just bought my wife a new computer for her. Moving her from Windows to a Mac. This should be fun.
    I am still on a PC, as all my software, including cs3 that i just bought is Windows. I might eventually move to a Mac Xeon machine, but i will have to buy a lot of software to go with it.
    What do you use to transfer nef's from your camera with? It appears Nikon transfer doesn't work so well. I use it on my pc, but don't know what to use when her new test mac gets here.
    Thanks in advance.
    Brad

2. If i'm reading your question right, I think you are asking what software I use on my mac for downloading my NEF's from my camera? I use Bridge but since your wife wont have it on her mac, you can always just pop the cf card into the comp. and double click on it while on the desktop and manually drag the files onto your computer. As far as viewing a NEF on a mac without PS, "Preview" (an apple photo and pdf viewing application) works for solely seeing the pictures.

Another alternative to downloading the pictures from camera is iphoto. iphoto has a nef viewer that seems to work ok. You can download and delete the files from the card directly through the program. In my personal opinion, I dont like iphoto and if was forced would rather transfer the shots manually.
    I hope this has helped!

3. Thanks. Her computer will eventually be used to transfer photos from a cf card to the macbook to view and cull, no processing.I can then burn to disc, or store on thumb drives for multiple copies while on vacation. I've learned from my mistakes.
    If i get a mac myself, then the transfer, viewing and processing is a different story. I'm so used to my pc and xp, i don't know if i want to yet. I don't want to go with vista.

4. What I do is to set up a folder on the desktop and then stick the CF card into the CF card reader, connect it to the USB port on the computer and simply copy the images from the CF card right to the folder. Then I am free to work with the images in any program in any way I want.

5. Thanks Connie. The more i read about these Mac's, the more i like it. There is a lot built into the OSX that is not in windows. There may not be as much to replace as i first thought. Cs3 will be the biggest bug, unless Adobe has some sort of deal to switch.

6. tipsord

tipsord

Sep 17, 2007
    scottsdale
    Just made the transition from PC to Mac. Much easier than expected. And the best part ... drum roll ... is that you can get a free new copy of CS3 for a Mac if you still have all the documentation from your PC version. That is the serial number or whatever it is called. I called them, and it worked seamlessly. You "promise" to destroy the old version, sign a document that says you did, and they send you a new Mac version. Adobe went up several notches in my book once they did all this. Now for the other PC apps, you won't be so fortunate. But I am LOVING the Mac and am so happy I did it. Good luck!!!!

7. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    This is exactly what I do, and I love the flexibility of opting to use any editing program I choose. It works very well.

8. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Way to Go!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

I had the same experience with Adobe: I bought the Adobe Premiere Pro and Photo Shop for Windows. Then I bought a High Def cam, and found my PC was not fast enough to support the files. I had also just bought the Sony Vegas video editing program ($600).

I ordered a Mac, then called both Adobe and Sony. Adobe sent my $1,000 back when I returned all their software! Sony said they were very, very sorry but there is no return on open software and they do not support Mac with Sony Vegas. So, I am with you 100% as a major Adobe fan!!! I bought CS2, and CS3 Master Collection when it came out, because of the video editing software it includes.

I am glad the Mac is working so well for you! ENJOY!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

9. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
  10. I'm glad to hear about Adobe and the exchange idea. I would hope the education version wouldn't disqualify me.
    That's a seamless way to transfer and work with NEF'S. Windows constantly requires software from third parties to do a lot of tasks Apple appears to have no problem with.
    Mac 3rd party software seems to be increasing all the time.

11. tipsord

tipsord

Sep 17, 2007
    scottsdale
    I had the education version as well, and there were no issues. After talking with Adobe, the Mac version arrived a couple of days later.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.