New Mac Pro announced...

That Mac Pro -- it's a cylinder! :smile: Very, very interesting. I wonder what the pricing structure will be?

I, too, was surprised that there was no mention of the iPhone, but I noticed that when they were showing the new iOS 7 that it appears to have the lock screen button right ON the interface so I'm wondering if they're planning to remove the physical home button?

I'm not particularly thrilled with the name they're giving the new OS X, though. "Mavericks?" Someone probably thought that was very clever, but I'll bet they get a lot of critical feedback about that. I think I would've preferred "Sea Lion." LOL!!!

That Mac Pro -- it's a cylinder! :smile: Very, very interesting. I wonder what the pricing structure will be?

I, too, was surprised that there was no mention of the iPhone, but I noticed that when they were showing the new iOS 7 that it appears to have the lock screen button right ON the interface so I'm wondering if they're planning to remove the physical home button?

I'm not particularly thrilled with the name they're giving the new OS X, though. "Mavericks?" Someone probably thought that was very clever, but I'll bet they get a lot of critical feedback about that. I think I would've preferred "Sea Lion." LOL!!!
It's named after a big wave surfing spot in Northern California!

Was it wrong of me to be disappointed by the lack of an iPhone update? Need to replace my old, badly fractured v4. Trying to wait it out, but it's starting to get difficult...
This wasn't an iPhone hardware event. There wasn't an expectation of announcing a new phone. iPhones have had their own press events.

I guess I'm too old school and have been spoiled by the current Mac Pro platform, so at this point I'm lukewarm on the new Mac Pro until I specifically understand its final configuration(s) and attracted costs.

Sea Lion, Mermaid, et al. might have been a tough hierarchy :tongue:

To me it looks pretty uninteresting. Mac Mini with souped up processors and a Darth Vader skin. It appears that there is zero internal expansion (except memory, presumably). Simply an extension Apple's all-Thunderbolt-all-the-time meme. Getting the same storage config as my old Mac Pro would involve at least two external enclosures and about 2.5 times the cost. No thanks.

I'll be sticking with my Mini for now and probably will be shopping for a PC or perhaps a current-gen Mac Pro from the refurb store.

It's named after a big wave surfing spot in Northern California!

Yes, but how many people outside of California or who aren't into surfing and such are going to know that? The only reason I finally realized it during the event was when they showed one of the screens in one of the demos (Keynote or Pages, I think) and it mentioned "Mavericks" and showed the wave, etc, and a brief blurb about it being a California big wave surfing spot. Earlier in the announcement he really did not make it all that clear (at least to me and I'll bet a lot of others missed the allusion, too). He made mention of big waves and such and showed the California state flag -- I was prepared for them start a new naming tradition of bears! -- but it didn't really connect for me when he then announced the name "Mavericks." Just me, I suppose..... I'm going to miss the Big Cats. Been with them ever since Tiger.....

Of course it's also a clever little play on words, the word "Maverick," and Apple users were once regarded in that way. Oddly enough, now Apple is becoming more and more mainstream and less and less maverick in a lot of ways.

On the other hand, that cylindrical Mac Pro is certainly a step away from tradition!

Yep, I'm sure a lot of people are not going to be too enthused about having to hang a bunch of external expansion devices from it. When they flashed the camera briefly on Woz, I could see by his expression that he was not terribly overwhelmed by this new Mac Pro. He seemed more enthused about some of the software changes, though.

The new iOS 7 looks interesting and I think the interface will make it a lot easier to read on the iPhone in particular. Nice and clean, not a lot of fussiness...... I don't care for some of the changes they've made to some of the icons but I can live with that. Overall I think it will be a nice enhancement for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch users.

I think Apple has to announce a expansion chassis for reasonable cost when they release the new Mac Pros. I can see people not needing the internal storage. NAS boxes are something that are becoming very common. However, they have to give an option for local storage, even if it is an adjacent box. The current third party options (for thunderbolt) are too expensive.

To me it looks pretty uninteresting. Mac Mini with souped up processors and a Darth Vader skin. It appears that there is zero internal expansion (except memory, presumably). Simply an extension Apple's all-Thunderbolt-all-the-time meme. Getting the same storage config as my old Mac Pro would involve at least two external enclosures and about 2.5 times the cost. No thanks.

I'll be sticking with my Mini for now and probably will be shopping for a PC or perhaps a current-gen Mac Pro from the refurb store.
I have to admit, unless I see compelling justification for the black can, I will most likely go with a current Mac Pro...being chained to Thunderbolt doesn't give me a warm feeling

I have a couple of clients where we are using a MacMini as host for a Windows Server virtual machine that actually resides on a Thunderbolt-connected drive array (Promise Pegasus R4). Unless pricing is totally off the wall, I will definitely have them get this new MacPro to replace the current Mini hosts primarily because of the cooling and raw performance. I've always been worried about the Mini's longevity when running 24/7 at 50-80% of max power and this new Pro will answer that concern.

Personally, I have a mid-2009 Pro and it's performing perfectly. When the time comes for an upgrade, I'll probably go with a high end iMac as I really don't think my personal needs require the extra expense that will probably accompany the new Mac Pro.

On the other hand, I cannot wait to get my hands on iOS 7 and OSX 10.9!! They look totally cool!! I am very impressed by the conveniences being built into the two operating systems. I know these features carry some baggage (such as requirements for always-on internet connections, possible privacy issues, and so on,) but as far as I am concerned, the features I'm going to be able to use clearly outweigh the potential problems.

Cheers!!

Ken

I'm going to start saving $.
my guess is LOTS of $, but I hope I'm wrong....complete redesign of a lower volume niche product is not going to be an attractive model, IMO........upon further consideration, with its Firewire and Thunderbolt tentacles, I dub the new Mac Pro Octopus

Last edited by a moderator:
my guess is LOTS of $, but I hope I'm wrong....complete redesign of a lower volume niche product is not going to be an attractive model, IMO........upon further consideration, with its Firewire and Thunderbolt tentacles, I dub the new Mac Pro Octopus
That's why I need to start saving now! LOL
I like my existing 2009 model with everything in one need box.

I bought the 2012 6 core model and am very satisfied, thank you very much. The speed numbers have gotten out of hand, like digital photography megapixel wars. I bought an external DVD burner (thank you 'he who must not be named!' :rolleyes:), filled it with 3TB drives and am good to go till....?

I bought the 2012 6 core model and am very satisfied, thank you very much. The speed numbers have gotten out of hand, like digital photography megapixel wars. I bought an external DVD burner (thank you 'he who must not be named!' :rolleyes:), filled it with 3TB drives and am good to go till....?
Looks like your plan was better than my plan, Rich. My Mini will hold me for a while and I'll probably grab a current gen Pro off the refurb site before the supplies dry up.

If I have the funds when the MAc Pro comes out I will probably get it. I don't mind the speed numbers game when it comes to computers. Quicker I get things done the better.

I'm excited about the next OS X as well. The new displays feature, including the one that allows any Apple TV connected TV as a full display (not just mirroring), alone will be worth the upgrade for me.

I'm running the iOS7 on my iPhone right now. Love the functionality upgrades, but the new look is taking a while to get used to!

IsamuM

Not-quite-
Given the price of PCI SSDs, I'm guessing that the minimum configuration Mac Pro will be around $3500. I just hope that the memory is user upgradeable.

Top Bottom