New Mac Pro available for pre-order

True, but no symphony orchestra could play it nearly that loud. Question: So why bother playing it so loud? Answer: Because you can and because the symphony orchestra can't.
Having experienced the Organ Symphony at the UT Austin Performing Arts Center which houses the third largest tracker organ in the world, I must respectfully disagree. While it may be possible, depending upon your gear, to achieve a higher decibel level, the SPL and physical impact at that concert is akin to being directly in front of the stage at a Who concert.

Having experienced the Organ Symphony at the UT Austin Performing Arts Center which houses the third largest tracker organ in the world, I must respectfully disagree.
If you couldn't have a normal conversation above the sound of the performance, you've experienced something I've never experienced in my 50 years of attending symphony orchestra concerts including those with 200-voice choirs, pipe organ and extra woodwinds and brass, some of them all performing at the same time. Indeed, if you couldn't have a normal conversation above the sound, my hunch is that damage was being done to your ears.

A non-trivial fraction of my high frequency hearing loss is from, ahem, youthful indiscretion involving ludicrously loud music. (The rest comes from unprotected firearms use in the military and exposure to loud computer gear pre-OSHA... and genetics, i am sure.) And normal conversation would not have been possible at that concert had I attempted it.

I have a daily listening session and today's session is inspired by you: every piece includes a prominent keyboard instrument. The music will be played in the following order:
  1. Bach: Concerto for Flute, Violin and Harpsichord, BWV 1044
  2. Bach: Concerto for Two Harpsichords, BWV 1060
  3. Mozart: Piano Concerto #23, K488
  4. Saint-Saens: Symphony #3 "Organ Symphony"

Mike, you were probably joking about hearing aids going wacko at concerts -- yep, I can attest that my old ones sure did! A singer or an instrument would hit a particularly high note and both of my aids would start squawking and squealing in protest -- very unpleasant and annoying for me and for those seated next to me! Even listening to music at home or in the car I had to deal with that, although at home I usually wear headphones to enjoy music rather than my hearing aids. I've recently gotten new aids and this pair seems to be much, much better in that regard -- the audiologist and I worked together to program them to be much more suited to listening to music as well as everyday normal conversation and sounds. So far what I've experienced in listening to music at home or in the car seems to indicate that the fine-turning worked, but the acid test will come this Saturday night when I'm at a concert in NJ......

Mike, you were probably joking about hearing aids going wacko at concerts
No, I was being serious. During one concert, I could hear the hearing aid emitting a high, shrill tone in the distance to my left. During another concert, I couldn't hear that happening but the conductor could; he stopped in between movements of a piece and asked the audience to alert the person who was wearing the problematic hearing aid. Both concerts occurred this year.

Real Name
Ken St John
Interestingly, if you max out a Dell Precision Workstation you end up with similar pricing - $50k plus!!

However, I did not see a $1,000 monitor stand available ....

I wonder if Safari is faster on one of these ? :rolleyes:

Ken

No, I was being serious. During one concert, I could hear the hearing aid emitting a high, shrill tone in the distance to my left. During another concert, I couldn't hear that happening but the conductor could; he stopped in between movements of a piece and asked the audience to alert the person who was wearing the problematic hearing aid. Both concerts occurred this year.
Oh, how embarrassing for the person wearing the hearing aid!! I've been known to simply take one or both of mine off when they were being fractious in a concert. I usually carry an old backup hearing aid which I would press into service if one or both of my regular ones weren't cooperating. I am really hoping that those days are over.....but, yep, I'll have that good old backup in my bag just in case I do need to use it! Obviously that person in the concert you were attending needed to have some adjustments made in the programming (these things are all digital now) in order to prevent or at least reduce sensitivity and subsequent feedback. He or she should've been able to hear the feedback, too, and have promptly done something about it. I don't wait for the people seated next or near to me to start scowling at me to take appropriate action (turn down volume, shut the thing(s) off altogether, etc.) and I would be absolutely mortified if a conductor or singer paused in a performance due to my hearing aid(s)!

Serious question: from a business perspective, how does Apple seriously get away with charging an extra $25K for the same amount of storage (1.5 TB) as the computer already includes... for $6K, which also includes all the other components? That just doesn't make any sense whatsoever...

But my 8 year-old 13"works just fine for me right now. Any faster and I'd get vertigo and my error rate would double!
I just upgraded this year from my 2011 MBP to a 2019 one as the former was getting annoyingly sluggish (the hard drive was only about half full) and the battery was not holding a charge well. The new one, with SSD drive, is much snappier - applications such as Photoshop open quickly and it doesn't take forever to reboot.

Putting Old Wine into New Bottles

I have a "new" MacPro — and my "new" FrankenMacPro is Smokin' COOL and almost silent too.

"Old Wine" is tasting extremely good at this moment.

I gutted the hardware in my MacPro mid-2010 5.1.

I replaced the GPU with a Metal-compatible 8GB RX Radeon 580 which will work with Catalina.
The Radeon 580 also provides modern DisplayPorts for my new Ben Q 27" monitor (which replaced my old and no longer calibrate-able NEC.);

I added a 2TB SSD in a PCI slot and made it into my Boot Drive.
Start up is almost instantaneous now and all the Adobe software that I use regulalry is really fast and responsive.
Bridge is building Caches and thumbnails from 7000-image folders remarkably quickly as well.

I also installed a further 32GB of DRAM for good measure.

Tomorrow I will be installing a PCI-connected Allegro USB 3.0 4-Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Charging PCI Express 2.0 Card.
It will add four USB 3.0 ports to my system, transfer data up to 5Gb/s, and support four USB 3.0 bus-powered devices.
I will be adding a Hub that will connect to the Allegro and provide a further four USB-3.0 slots in an easily accessible location.
I don't make videos so am not feeling any need to replacement or add new processors after all (although it could be done for quite reasonable cost).

I admit that I did sink almost one grand on computer-parts but I feel that it has been more than worth it and I am totally amazed by the vastly improved performance of this old machine.

Doing something like this might be an alternative for others who need robust computer-power but are gasping at the price of the new 2020 Mac Pro?
Second-hand MacPro 2010s are available at quite reasonable prices now so, even if you have to start by buying one of those, refitting it in the way in which I have just done might still be a viable alternative to buying a new Mac?

I just upgraded this year from my 2011 MBP to a 2019 one as the former was getting annoyingly sluggish (the hard drive was only about half full) and the battery was not holding a charge well. The new one, with SSD drive, is much snappier - applications such as Photoshop open quickly and it doesn't take forever to reboot.
I hear you. The one reason I'd upgrade is to move to the latest OS which makes for more respect from the university IT folks (not having to use MS outlook for email, for one).

My 2012 MBP was barely on the list as being able to upgrade and it is easily better than Mojave was. I recommend the catalina upgrade to anyone who's on the fence.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom