New Mac Pro available for pre-order

Though I would settle for the new 16" MacBook Pro (6 core (2.6GHz, 16GB, 1TB, 5300M vid). But my 8 year-old 13"works just fine for me right now. Any faster and I'd get vertigo and my error rate would double!

I wish something like this had been available back during my working days. I bought one of the first unix workstations based on an Intel chip, a Sun 386. It cost $18,000 of grant/contract funds, and wouldn't hold a candle to my iPhone 6 in processing power.

Real Name
Doug
I wish something like this had been available back during my working days. I bought one of the first unix workstations based on an Intel chip, a Sun 386. It cost $18,000 of grant/contract funds, and wouldn't hold a candle to my iPhone 6 in processing power.
A $30 graphing calculator has an order of magnitude more processing power that the computer on board Apollo 11. Astounding. Snarky comments aside, based on what it is (a state-of-the-art workstation) the price is pretty much in line with the competition. But unless you are a video rendering power user, a $1k Dell PC should suffice for image editing and occasional family video editing.

I was doing pretty heavy-duty number crunching back in those days. I had a grant of time on an IBM supercomputer at their Palo Alto research center. I could submit a job one day and get the results the next. With that new Mac Pro they would probably run while I took a sip of coffee.

For you serious audiophiles, this was just announced.

Real Name
Doug
I was doing pretty heavy-duty number crunching back in those days. I had a grant of time on an IBM supercomputer at their Palo Alto research center. I could submit a job one day and get the results the next. With that new Mac Pro they would probably run while I took a sip of coffee.

For you serious audiophiles, this was just announced.
Wow. You could listen to Saint Saen's Symphony #3 (the "Organ" Symphony) and cook a small roast at the same time.

Well as for me, I'll pass on the new Mac Pro, enticing as it sounds.....sorry, just a wee bit out of my realm both in physical handling and in terms of budget!!! LOL!!!! I'm perfectly happy with my current 2018 MBP which is not quite maxed-out but enough to give me what I want and need, and my new external monitor which also provides what I want and need.....and hey, I didn't have to pay an extra $1000 for the stand, too!!! LOL!

Whatever Apple is viewing as the market for these new machines and accessories, it's definitely not the common man or woman, the everyday enthusiast or hobbyist.... We're just going to have to be satisfied with something that costs much less but which also, hey, still provides what we want and need in terms of functionality!

Real Name
Ken St John
I'm pretty sure the ONLY legit market for these would be outfits like Pixar where the power can really be used.

Using one of these to run Lightroom would be akin to putting a Hellcat 1,000 hp Hemi V-8 in a Mini Cooper!! With enough money it could be done, but WHY? :D

Ken

Latest threads

Top Bottom