New Mac Pro

I look at Apple computer purchases within a 7-8 year purchase window!

It's like buying lenses new. Let the early adopters take the initial hit and wait for the used market to get flooded with perfectly fine equipment at a fraction of the introduction price! ;)

Yep, it is definitely for the 1%.

Main issue with it is the entry cost as the relatively weak 8 Core base model is $6k! From what I can see, the minimum anyone should really be looking at for future expandability is the 12 Core Model as the 8 Core doesn't look like it can be built up over time given what looks like a different logic board with different RAM Speed Requirements. Also, the GPU is to be encased in a proprietary module and presumably Nvidia is to be locked out for good on Macs.

The Mac Pro Range used to be like Audi Range and you could buy an:
  1. A4 - Everyday Model for about 70% of the Range User Base
  2. S4 - Performance Model for about 25% of the Range User Base
  3. RS4 - High End Sports Model for about 5% of the Range User Base
I bought into the A4 equivalent back in 2008 and have slowly built it up to a 2008 RS4.

Now, the 2019 A4 is priced like an RS4 (but still with A4 Performance) and the 2019 RS4 like a Bugatti Veyron!
I suppose they want to change the Range User Base ... to the 1%!

Let the early adopters take the initial hit and wait for the used market to get flooded with perfectly fine equipment at a fraction of the introduction price! ;)
Except that you can be sure that in 5/6 years time, the prices will still be pretty much the same ... especially if Apple doesn't update it again.
What MAY happen is that as they know they have been very late with this (The last REAL update to the Mac Pro Range was in 2010), there could be pent up demand to capitalise on and MAYBE they would come out with true A4 and S4 equivalents later but this is Apple and I wouldn't hold my breath.

The Apple Store, Regent's Street, London, UK.
Tuesday, 29 March, 2005

How I yearn for the good old days as a wide eyed fanboy!
Definitely no longer a fanboy but still couldn't avoid contemplating giving up a kidney for the new Mac Pro lol.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The article’s “vomitously expensive” comment is the best I have seen.

May the feverish work already in progress to bridge unsupported Macs to newly announced iOS Catalina save my warhorse Mac Pro early 2009 4,1 upgraded to 5,1 once again!

The Apple Store, Regent's Street, London, UK.
Tuesday, 29 March, 2005

How I yearn for the good old days as a wide eyed fanboy!
Definitely no longer a fanboy but still couldn't avoid contemplating giving up a kidney for the new Mac Pro lol.
View attachment 1639651
This reminds me of the other day, when I was at the Apple Store here in Los Angeles and I was talking to one of the employees. At one point she asked if she could look at my iPhone in regards to a technical question I had. I said I'm actually on an Android phone and her eyes glazed over me as if I was a heretic!

If it wasn't for the Mac OS I'd be using PCs instead!

I have had the latest Mac Pro since 2008. Sorry I can't afford one anymore. I never thought about an iMAc as I don't like the built in screen. Perhaps a mini is in my future.

2013 Mac Pro 3.5 8 cores with 64 GB.

Years ago I had the first-generation Mac Pro and a 30" ACD and while it was a gorgeous setup I realized that it really was just too much for me and that I was just as happy using something smaller both in terms of a monitor and in terms of a computer. I eventually sold the 30" ACD to Rich Gibson, who was happy as a clam with it, since it was a twin to the 30" ACD he already had, and a little later sold the Mac Pro to someone else. I have had a couple of iMacs along the way and also a Mac mini at one time, too, but in the end I'm just as happy with the pretty powerful 2018 15" MacBook Pro, which serves my purposes very well as a desktop replacement at home and offers the flexibility of adding a monitor if I desire, and for travel, my lightweight, small 2017 12" MacBook does quite nicely. If I shoot any photos on a trip, easy enough to download them and transfer them right to an external SSD for later putting into the 15" MBP. I rarely edit images on the 12" MacBook, but it is useful for quick reviewing and culling if need be. I guess I'm a laptop girl at heart.....

At that stunning price tag and for the reasons I mentioned above, Apple won't see me as a customer for the shiny new Mac Pro, but I do like the looks of it and how the machine's appearance reminds us of the old "cheese grater" Mac Pro in its latest iteration. Looks really cool!

May the feverish work already in progress to bridge unsupported Macs to newly announced iOS Catalina save my warhorse Mac Pro
Unfortunately, DosDude1 wouldn't be releasing his usual patch to run Catalina on unsupported Macs. Apparently can't get Hardware Acceleration to work and thinks it is not worth running without this.

Says he is still looking at a "cut down" patch for Mac Pros though so perhaps there is still some hope for you. People seem to be able to install the beta on 5,1 machines once the compatibility check is bypassed.

I suspect Catalina might be a step too far for my Early 2008 despite the best efforts of the hackers but decided that this will only ever go as far as Mojave anyway. I need software that would not run on Catalina on this and I presume Mojave should still be good for a couple of years more. Might be able to remortgage for the new Mac Pro by then.

It was fun to stretch the Mac Pro beyond the officially supported units in Mojave, but I sense my horse is finally headed to a lush pasture.

removed.

Apple is looking for ways to go broke. They are getting no more of my money. Period. Full stop.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom