New Mac

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by rlacy, Jul 3, 2007.

1. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    I have used an iMac since 2003. It is certainly dated and it now does not have enough memory or processing speed to handle the D2X files. I use CS2 and Lightroom. May or may not upgrade to CS3. I need some advice on what new computer to upgrade to. I want to stay with Apple. I assume that a new iMac with 2.16 MZ processor speed and 2GB RAM with a good video card (256 MB) would be fine. I am a serious hobbyist. Not a pro. I print to an Epson 1800 and am happy with that. I currently have a 20" display and would go with at least that large of a screen again. I want the capability to add a second monitor to use for the CS2 pallets and menu's. I know the current iMac's will do this.

I need your recommendtions on an iMac or your thoughts if I should buy a more powerful computer and display. I am 75% convinced that the iMac will be fine, but I want to be 100% sure. Thanks in advance for your recommendations and opinions.

Ron

2. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    Lightroom and CS3 run great on my MBP 2.16 GHz/2 GB RAM, should run great on a new iMac. And you definitely want CS3 :smile:.

3. Rumors are flying that we'll be seeing new iMacs this summer....so you might want to hold off a little longer, if you can. If you really need to get something new now, then yes, I'd think that one of the current crop of iMacs would do you quite nicely. The 20" and the 24" are both capable of doing what you'd require. You could even put in another GB of RAM to have 3 GB, which would give you a little more "oomph" when working with memory-intensive files and programs.

4. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    Yes indeed. Thanks Connie, I resisted mentioning it :tongue:.

5. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    Peter, Connie-
    Thanks for the information and recommendations. About the rumored new iMac, what is rumored to change? More speed, memory, etc.? Any information or where i might go for information would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ron

6. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
  7. Also there are discussion threads about this at http://www.macrumors.com.

I suspect that the new iMacs would have the ability to use 4 GB RAM (now that the MacBook Pro machines can) and that they might have options for larger hard drives. I would guess that they'd have the Santa Rosa chip in them (same as the MacBook Pro). Basically the iMac is a MacBook Pro in a desktop body configuration with, of course, larger hard drive capacity and such.

8. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    Thanks for all of the information and the rumors that the iMac will be updated soon. While it remains rumors, it does sound serious and credible enough that I think I will wait a month or so to see what happens. Having the ability for more RAM would probably be worth the wait.

Thanks for all the info.

Ron

9. Apple always seems to have something new just around the corner.... Always a new temptation!

The nice thing, though, is that their older stuff is still useable and functioning quite well for years so that when a new software update comes along, for instance, it's not sounding the death knell for the machine. Right now I am in my bedroom typing on my beloved G5 iMac (rev B) and I am quite confident that when Leopard comes out in October that this machine will accept it and work with it comfortably, just as easily as my newer intel-based ones. Sure, the G5 is not as speedy as the latest intel CD, C2D or Santa Rosa machines, but by gum, it is still a wonderfully functioning computer. I love my iMac and its appearance -- I'm curious about what the new ones will look like but the current form factor is pretty neat, too, in my opinion.