New meets old / Tel Aviv

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by heiko, Dec 7, 2005.

1. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    For the past 20 years I've been living in Israel, Tel Aviv has developed at an amazing pace. Highrise buildings are growing like mushrooms, particularly in the old business district of the city, creating a contrasty scenery of old and new.

Downtown Tel Aviv near Herzel Street
    original.

View from Newe Tzedek, Tel Aviv's oldest part, towards business district in southern Tel Aviv
    original.

And another one from Newe Tzedek
    original.

Comments & criticism most welcome.

2. Very dramatic way to put across your point. Excellent.

3. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks Gordon, appreciate your comment! I hope to be able to get out more to downtown Tel Aviv - there are some nice views to capture. Today I just missed the sunset on TA - got held up on the way.

4. Heiko...I just love Israel. I visted a few years back in Jerusalem and never really got to know Tel Aviv. How old is this city and what name was it known as back in the Old Testament days?

5. Concurs with Gordon's comments. Excellent pictures.

I look at your images with a little nostalgy : the «old» is fading away into history.But luckily, photography is there to preserve memories.

6. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hello Melissa,

Thanks for looking. Regarding Tel Aviv's age and name in the Old Testament, I have to disappoint you. Tel Aviv is a NEW city - the first buildings are from around the turn of the 19th to 20th century. However, the first quarter of Tel Aviv was built next to the Arabic town Jaffa, and this town exists for a few thousand years (you can search Google for more on it). So Tel Aviv is a young city compared to most other towns in Israel. By the way, the word "Tel" means hill and "Aviv" is spring (like in summer or autumn).

Best regards,

7. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks for the comments, Dao. Tel Aviv's old Newe Tzedek quarter has been largely renovated and has actually become a very sought after and expensive area. However, there are still enough buildings that need some urgent renovation or they'll be lost, such as the one I photographed. On contrast, in Tel Aviv's old business district next to Newe Tzedeck, more and more buildings have to make room for new high-rise buildings. Then there are many houses built in the Bauhaus style, which were built during the 20s-30s of the last century. Most of that part of the city is being preserved, as it makes Tel Aviv unique. By the way, the Bauhaus architecture came originally from Berlin, Germany, but it was stopped there when the Nazis came to power. So, a large part of Tel Aviv was built in the German modernist Bauhaus architecture.
    Regarding your nostalgic feelings, I have to share them. I am also getting quite nostalgic when I see places change so rapidly and one has to look for signs of how it used to be.

8. Thanks for info... I really appreciate it...In the future I would like to see more of Tel Aviv because I missed out on the first time I was there.

9. I like your shots, especially the 3rd one. Someday I would like very much to go to Israel.

God Bless,
    David

10. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks for looking and commenting. Let me know if and when you're comming and we meet up :smile: . It's only around 3 hours flight from where you are now (if you're in Italy, that is).

11. Hello Heiko

Wow, what contrast, these photos are dramatic and interesting. Thanks for posting.

12. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

I love the contrast between the old and new.

13. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Many thanks for your comments, RB and Pete! Most appreciated. I have to get out and do some more shooting. Southern part of Tel Aviv and paricularly Newe Tzedek are good places to start with. Hope to get around it soon, as I will be up to my ears in work next year.