New Mexico's Very Large Array

Since I woke up in Albuquerque this morning, I treated myself to a trip to VLA. It's easily been 10 years since I was last there. Here a few of shots.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nice shots Eric. I was there a few years ago on my way to Bosque Del Apache. Also stopped in Pietown. Thanks for jolting my memory.

Hi Eric,
the whole scenery looks so unreal. Almost like "alien-town" :smile:.
Well done!

Thank you everyone. I'm over 50, and every time I see the place, I just get so excited. Maybe all the radio waves affect my brain :biggrin: but I just love it over there. I'd apply for a job at the VLA if it wasn't a 6 hour drive from home.

Hey, Eric! See you're out and about. Nice shots of the VLA. Where is this? I've seen pictures from someplace that gave me the impression that there are many more dishes than appear in your shots. Is there another place like that?

"Can You Hear Me Now!" Nice job!:smile:
:biggrin: Have you been there? One of the stops on the walking tour is two 8 foot dishes that are facing each other, it takes two people one at each dish, they are about 30 feet apart, one person whispers into the dish, and the other can hear it. Kind of a parlor trick, high tech string and cans thing. Lately, the most common thing whispered is "Can You Hear Me Now!"

Hey, Eric! See you're out and about. Nice shots of the VLA. Where is this? I've seen pictures from someplace that gave me the impression that there are many more dishes than appear in your shots. Is there another place like that?
Hey Rex, thank you. VLA is west of Socorro, NM about 50 miles. It's about half way between Socorro and Pie Town. There are a total of 27 dishes, but it is very hard without getting in the air to find a place where you can get a picture of all of them. I think in one of the images I uploaded to my smug mug account, if you look at the largest resolution, you can pick out 25 of them, but some are hidden behind others.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom