New monitor - LG 5K vs BenQ SW271C

For the past few years I've been using a 2017 iMac w/5K Retina screen. It's has a 4 core i5 w/24GB of RAM and more and more I'm getting the spinning beachball when opening editing apps and working on photos. It's a great Internet, email and Office computer but when it comes to photo editing, it seem seems challenged. I have a Mac Pro and MacBook Pro that are more powerful but I lack a good monitor for photo editing. I've used those mostly for work and school but now that my work setup has changed, I've freed up the MacBook Pro, which is a 2018, 6 core i9 w/32GB of RAM.

I really like the 5K Retina screen on the iMac. The two monitors I'm looking at to use with the MacBook Pro are the 5K LG 27" Ultrafine and the BenQ SW271C. I'd appreciate hearing any experience with either of these with particular interest if you also have experience with the iMac 5K Retina.

Thanks.

I have a 2012 quad core macbook pro and it handles lightroom and photoshop quite well. If you're having issues with a 2017 quad core w/ 24gb of ram and aren't using an SSD, you might want to look into a wipe and reinstall depending on what OS you're currently running.

I don't have experience with BenQ but have heard they're great monitors. So are some of those LG's. Personally i'd get a 27" U-series 4k Dell and get it properly calibrated, which is the most important part.

Real Name
Ken St John
Probably too late for this discussion, but I just got a BenQ PD2700U and I'm very impressed. Looks as close to a "retina" monitor as I have seen ... for under $1,000+ !!

Although I find it difficult to capture a monitor faithfully, here's my best effort:
_OSR2080.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_OSR2079.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Even these images are much sharper in person than here on the forum ... hope its helps a little!!

Ken

Last edited:
Probably too late for this discussion, but I just got a BenQ PD2700U and I'm very impressed. Looks as close to a "retina" monitor as I have seen ... for under $1,000+ !!

Although I find it difficult to capture a monitor faithfully, here's my best effort:
View attachment 1685302
View attachment 1685301
Even these images are much sharper in person than here on the forum ... hope its helps a little!!

Ken

Ken, am I missing something, or looking at the wrong model, but I see this listing for under $500.

Real Name
Ken St John
Ken, am I missing something, or looking at the wrong model, but I see this listing for under $500.
No... that's the one. What I was trying to say is it looks as GOOD to me as the LG 5k and some other "retina" level monitors that are priced more than twice as much ($1,000+).

BenQ on Amazon

That's why I am so happy!! :)

Ken

Following this topic, too. Ordered a Mac Mini for desktop editing. Will use a Dell 2.4K 25 inch monitor currently on the desk and something a little higher res for secondary display. Or perhaps splurge on two 4K monitors!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom