1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New Monitor?!?!

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by j_b_l, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Well, I think I'm finally going to buy an external monitor for my laptop...my color calibration just isn't cutting it on the MBP, so I'm going to get a monitor...the only problem...which one? I have set a $1,000 limit for the purchase.

While I like the look of the Apple displays, they don't get very good reviews at ShootSmarter. They have a 1920x1200 native resolution (great), contrast ratio of 700:1 (ok), response time of 14ms (ok), and a brightness of 400 (so-so) on their 23" units...price is just under $900, which is under my budget (GREAT).

Eizo, by contrast, has a CE210W (21.1"), with a native resolution of 1680x1050 (so-so), contrast ratio of 1000:1 (great), response time of 8ms (great), and a brightness of 450 (great)...price is just under $1,200 (not-so-great). This monitor was not rated by ShootSmarter, but its big brother, the CE240, was rated quite high.

Then I found a Samsung 244T...24", 1920x1200 resolution (great), contrast of 1000:1 (great), brightness at 500 (great)...price is just under $700 (WOW!). I checked some user reviews on Amazon, and all 5 reviewers gave it 5-stars.

So I think I've talked myself into the Samsung...it got consistantly 5-star reviews on Amazon from users, so I like that about it...any suggestions? Thoughts? Any other ideas?

2. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    None of the displays that you have mentioned are S-IPS. You definitely want a S-IPS panel.

Last time I was looking at displays I had my eye on the NEC 2690.

Check it out.

Dave

3. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    Seems like Dell has pulled a fast one and brought two new contenders, both with 92% color gamut. I would also check out the dell 3007wfp-hc and 2407 HC.

4. Dave, thanks! I will look into those...appreciated!!

5. I have a Eizo CE240W and it is just plain fantastic, I couldnt be more happy with it

6. Logan

Logan Guest

john, like mike said, EIZO, is the brand i was thinking at panera... but i just couldnt let it roll off of my tongue!

7. The Samsung should be really good.... I've had Samsungs in the past with my Windows machines and was always very happy with them. When I made the switch to the Mac, my first machine was the iMac, so no monitor concerns there, and then later when I was progressing towards the Mac Pro I went ahead and sprang for the 30" ACD, which I love. Later I decided to get a 23" ACD to hook up to my MBP, too, and am very happy with it as well. Anyway, my first LCD monitor many years ago was a Samsung and I really liked it, and in fact still have it -- and when I purchased my last PC got a 19" Samsung to use with it and was quite satisfied. It's still connected to the PC, which is still hooked up, although I rarely turn it on any more.

In summary, I think you'd be very happy with the Samsung!

8. Connie, thanks...I think I'm leaning towards the Dell right now...we'll see in a month when I pull the trigger (birthday present)...

9. John, you might also want to check out the new Samsung 275T. If it's not the same unit as the Dell then it's pretty close. I've seen it on sale in Canada for $999 Cdn which is approx. $940 U.S. at current rates. Not sure what the price is in the U.S. though. I've been very happy with Samsung monitors and my Samsung 215T was AMAZING for editing. 275T is defiinitely in my sights and worth a look if you're still deciding! Cheers!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.