New Nik collection and Affinity Photo

Nik collection has been updated to 2.5 (free for those with a paid version of 2.0) and Affinity has been updated to 1.8. Affinity now has fully integrated the Nik collection as plugins.

But I assume that if I don't want the film looks and don't use Affinity there is no reason to upgrade.
Nick explained that they are updates, not upgrades. The implication is that if you already have the programs, they will be free whereas upgrades would require you to get out your credit card. However, most people are smarter than I am and can provide their credit card information without getting it out.

I have the current Affinity Photo on a PC. I tried installing the Nik collection (not version 2.5) that I had been using with Photoshop and it didn't quite work right. When I clicked on Viviza, for instance, it changed the image colors before I did anything. From what I read, I gather that the current Affinity is no longer compatible with the older Nik collection. Is that correct, or is there a workaround?

Also, I haven't used NX-D, or whatever it's called now, in a long time. Does it still include the Nik software?

The NIK collection is also provided with DXO PhotoLab 3 and periodically I have gotten updates to the software, in fact I think one just last week, so I'm guessing that maybe one or more of those updates has also included updates to the NIK collection as well..... Next time I'm in there I'll have to remember to check and see what version the NIK collection is now. I haven't used it very much yet, still learning my way around, but I have been pleased with what I have tried so far.

I haven't used NX-D, or whatever it's called now, in a long time. Does it still include the Nik software?
I don't know if NX-D includes a version of Nik software (I seriously doubt that it does) but I do know that the only way to legally get the current version of the collection is to buy a license from DXO or one of its business partners. DXO initially made the Nik Collection compatible with Photoshop products and the latest version (2.5) is compatible with Affinity Version 1.8. I don't remember if it's compatible with other software applications.

Last edited:
Unsurprisingly, it is included with DxO's own software editing product, which makes sense. No idea of which other programs are also licensed to include it. I still have the older free version of NIK that I'd hung on to, intending to use it "one of these days" and of course never did, but now there is no need to bother with that any more, since it is included with DxO PhotoLabs 3, much to my pleasure.

Unsurprisingly, it is included with DxO's own software editing product, which makes sense. No idea of which other programs are also licensed to include it. I still have the older free version of NIK that I'd hung on to, intending to use it "one of these days" and of course never did, but now there is no need to bother with that any more, since it is included with DxO PhotoLabs 3, much to my pleasure.
Actually, it's the other way around, Buy NIK and you get the basic DXO-PL with it.
Affinty 1.8 runs NIK flawlessly now as plugins. In DXO-PL you leave the program to use NIK, Nikon does not include any part of NIK, but you can send to/link to the NIK apps.

Last edited:
I don't know about buying NIK separately. I purchased DXO PhotoLab 3 back in November and I'll admit, it took me a while to realize that oh, yeah, there was probably a reason why there was a button for the NIK collection included in the processing panel..... DUH, me!!!! One day I finally got around to clicking it, and wonder of wonders, looky what I found!!! It's cool, but I've only even begun to really tap into it yet.....

In DXO PhotoLab 3 when you click on the built-in NIK button you are presented with a menu of the various options, choose one, it is downloaded and then you work with it. After you are finished, you save it (as a TIFF) and it opens alongside the already-processed or partially-processed image in DxO. You then can finish up in DxO if needed and then send the whole works off as a .jpg to whatever destination you have chosen. It's pretty cool, actually! I have only done this a couple of times so far, so am still learning the ropes here.....

Thank you -- that makes sense that when I clicked on the dropdown menu I had to wait a few minutes for a download and then the NIK program opened and I was able to play around in it..... This is my first experience with working within one program and then going to another program and then returning back to the first program..... I suspect that it helps that it is all linked nicely by the DxO folks! I've heard about people "round-tripping" from one program to another but had never had an occasion to do that or the appropriate software, so this is indeed a very new thing for me and I am finding it to be pretty cool! As long as I don't lose whatever I was initially working on and the trip to a NIK program works and returns safely to DxO, I'm fine with that! :) I am learning a whole lot more about post-processing than I ever have before and how it can produce interesting and different effects when going beyond just the basics..... WOW!

Thanks, Nick! I should watch some of those webinars about the NIK collection since it is new to me. I have watched a few video tutorials about PhotoLab 3, especially in the beginning when I was just starting out with it. Actually, though, I was surprised at how really intuitive It is for me; the first few times I used it I was able to do what I needed without having to read the manual, so to speak, which was a pleasant surprise. Then again I was only doing basic stuff. Eventually I had a question or two about specific procedures, and thankfully found answers pretty quickly. I know one thing I need to learn about is the "control points" -- I haven't quite figured that out yet and really need to do so one of these days!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom