New Nikkor 200-500 f5.6 Owner

Well after being one of 655 that was laid off in Houston on the same day by Chevron, I decided to use some of the severance package for the new lens. (Started better job shortly after being let go :)). I just got the lens on the 25th and am looking for some advice for shooting in with my D7100.

Besides getting out there and taking pictures, can anyone offer some helpful advice with settings to get the most out of the camera / body combination?

Thank you in advance,

Jay aka jaybird

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Congrats to your new lens. It is a gem.

I'm able to shoot 500mm 1/15s handheld. The VR is great.

Klaus

VR is fabulous, and the lens is great wide open too. I've been rather busy, so little shooting so far :( but most of what I've done has been with a monopod and a kirk monopod head. AF is fast enough for me on a D810.

VR is fabulous, and the lens is great wide open too. I've been rather busy, so little shooting so far :( but most of what I've done has been with a monopod and a kirk monopod head. AF is fast enough for me on a D810.
I have been thinking about a monopod. I went through some really rough turbulence on a flight from Perth WA and ended up with some nerve damage in my shoulder. Unfortunately one of the nerves never healed. So the muscles that help with lifting in my back are basically non functional. I am fine as long as subject is straight ahead (Gators) but I think elevated subjects (BIFs) may be problematic.

I use mine on a D800, all but my initial test shots have been done handheld and I leave VR off. Wide open is fine for this lens. I'm puzzled why NIkon priced it so low given how well it performs. Congratulations on the new job.

Latest threads

Top Bottom