1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New Nikon 14-24 today

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Steinar, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Bought it again - received it today.

2784246356_3cde3d8d60.

View attachment 241461

Bought it for my D200 in February, but there was - for me unexpected at that time - to much flare/ghosting, so I send it back.

Later I have learned (BJørn Rørslett), that there can be a hidden disadvantage using FX-lenses on DX-cameras.

But whatever .......I have to work around it.

Was SO much in doubt:

Should it be:

The 14-24,
    The 17-35,
    The Zeiss 35 f/2.0 or
    The Zeiss 18 f/3.5

....for my 6 days old Nikon D700 (sold my beloved Tokina 11-16, because I also sold my D200 and 18-200 to raise the money).

But some pics from the 14-24 on FX, also with the sun in the image, gave me the last push.

2. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    congrats !

3. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you very much, Randy.

4. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    tg i don't shoot WA or i'd have even more to buy :smile:
    my widest lens is the 50 1.4 (i don't cnt the 18-200 since it's a vacation only lens)

5. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Nice looking lens you got there, the front element is huge

6. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Congrats Steinar, you got the best of the best.

7. Jim_C

Jim_C

Aug 17, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Do you have a link/reference to this information? I'm curious what BJørn has to say about this topic.

- Jim

8. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Congrats - truly a wonderful lens!

9. That really is one large front element! Look forward to seeing some photos from it!

10. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you Peter, Jahn and all.

No I do not have a link, but I can search my pc for his lines, it was a discussion I raised and discussed with him because I was so disapointed about all the flare/ghosting X) -

10 minutes and I will be back with it - I think.

X
    I shot with the 14-24 on D200 some hours (lended/borrowed the lens), and it was so fantastic, and I thought there were no flaws, but the weather was overcast, so I did not pay attention to that issue, and when I got it and the sun was shining it was another story - also got 3 ghosts with only some lamps.

But the sharpness .... amazing, so I ordered it again for my new FX, and hope it is less on FX, but even not - I want this sharpness.

11. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Bjørn Rørslett:

There is a hidden disadvantage using FX/135mm format lenses on a DX camera. These lenses may record a "cropped" image, but their angle of view isn't altered so they "see" and transmit light from a much larger area than you observe in the viewfinder. Hence they exacerbate the proneness to flare and ghosting for two reasons (a) the extra light captured isn't image-forming so can only add to the general level of flare, and (b) point lights outside the recorded area might make nasty contributions to ghosting and flare. Remember the "recorded" area seen in the image is smaller than what the lens itself captures. The "cropping" doesn't occur in front of the lens and many people tend to overlook this trivial fact.

12. Well im afraid that the flare/ghosting wont be gone on FX (not from my experience anyway)

Its impossible with that portruding front element, regardless the lens is amazing and is a blast.

Congrats on the re-acquisition.

13. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you, Paul, and no... I do not expect, that it is gone, but I hope it is less.

14. yemmi

yemmi

Aug 5, 2008
    China
    Congrats you,Steinar.
    It's one of the best lens.

15. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you Yemmi.

16. you'll LOVE this lens
    congrats
    enjoy

17. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    I am sure, thank you Greg.

18. It sure is a Marvel of modern technology :)  Congrads!

19. I'd love to have that lens, I hope you enjoy it.

20. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you Vladik - I certainly will, jmacd.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.