1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New Nikon 180-400mm F4E w/built-in TC1.4 FL ED VR lens!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Jonathan F/2, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  2. Price of a cheap car?

3. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    $1610 per pound, cheaper than truffles.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    I would not hold my breath waiting for the dump of the 200-500's over this lens. :) 
    Note to NAS victims...B&H does not have the pre-order up yet.

5. My wife would be more likely (albeit, very, very, very unlikely) to approve buying truffles than a new lens. So, buy truffles, sell them in Sandpoint :D  and finance a 180-400. Elementary!

6. I feel conflicted abut this lens, and I didn't like the 200-400 very much sold it pretty quickly, this one should have much better AF and AF speed though.... Seems like an odd choice with a max reach of 560 at F5.6 with the TC, a 500 with a TC has 700 and of course a 600 has 840mm reach. But I guess its a great Africa lens.

7. Still no Arca Swiss foot.

8. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    I doubt you will see many 200-500s and the price won't drop anymore and it may go up based on price comparison to the new zoom

9. Gear Head

Gear Head

Dec 4, 2011
    Beachside!
    I just preorderd 2...

:stop: 

10. About 50% heavier than the 200-500 and longer and larger diameter. I always thought the 200-500 a bit small for my use.

I think the cost is also at the silly level, so I'll wait for the DX version (with a useful collar/foot - ie AS).

11. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    Another guy going for the volume discount. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  12. It is amazing that Nikon refuses to budge on this one. They really have their heads buried in the sand.

13. Buried in sand is not they way I'd put it, but it is a nicer way.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Gear Head

Gear Head

Dec 4, 2011
    Beachside!
    Actually if I bought one I would try to get as much feed back from people that would actually use a beast like this and machine a proper foot for it.
    I am sure I could sell 12,000 worth of them in no time..
    It would be a beast of a foot for sure

15. Dang! I'm a nickel short!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    No worries, I got your back

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. I'm sure RRS and Kirk and the other Arca Swiss foot manufacturers like it better this way.....:cool: 
    Me? I don't care...I'm not buying this $12,400 beastie...:confused: 

• Like Like x 1
  18. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    With the 600e costing 12k this lens is ridiculously priced

• Like Like x 1
  19. No Arca Swiss foot on that either.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.