New Nikon D500 firmware update coming at the end of March to address Snapbridge issues with iOS 10.2

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by rick_reno, Mar 5, 2017.

1. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
  3. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    I'me for better iso performance as I find that 1600 for me is the max I can tolerate!
    Mike

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Then you need to consider full frame. Small sensors have limits....even though we might see small, incremental improvements. That's the reason I love my FF bodies. It's a lot easier to keep shutter speeds up on a full frame.

5. Panther

Panther

Jun 1, 2009
    Texas (KSKF)
    ?
    I've found that the D500 loves overexposure in low light conditions vs underexposure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    I like to pp me photos at viewed at 100%. If I do that with the D500 I am very disappointed indeed with what I see. I hope you don't mind me screen grabbing one of your images taken with the D500. Take a look at the grainy BG. This is what I mean. I am waiting on the D810's replacement to be released
    Cheers.
    Mike
    PS I will remove your photo if you would prefer me to.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  7. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    I totally agree with you Karen. I was disappointed in the quality of the images at iso over 1600!. I was expecting much more srom it. I have considered the D810 but at this late stage I am holding off until the release of the New D810s release. I am hoping for Nikon to announce its leleas on this the 100th anaversey. I would think that it will have atleast one qxd but hopefully two of them. The af io the D500 is excellent and maby the new D810 will come wuth these improvements also.
    Regards.
    Mike

8. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    I never used it but I beleive it work very good Rick.
    Cheers.
    Mike

9. Panther

Panther

Jun 1, 2009
    Texas (KSKF)
    To each their own I suppose...The image below was at ISO 3200

32561702482_15b27101b7_o-2.

10. Panther

Panther

Jun 1, 2009
    Texas (KSKF)
    You're comparing a FX D810 to a DX D500?

11. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland

Sorry but I was hoping that the NEW long awaited D500 was light years ahead of the D300 this is what I was disappointed in. Please don't get me wrong I know that the af is excellent but I was hoping for better iso performances after is it Seven years! I have set my camera to run JPEG files now as this might be where Nikon s improvements could be found. The weather here is bad lots of rain and cold weather. I also had a bad fall and haven't had the camera in my hands for over a week now. I am hoping that I feel better in a week or so and I can finely get out shooting and see what Nikon has improved whit their JEPEG in camera processing.
    Regards.
    mike

12. Sorry Mike - have to disagree here. As someone who used to have a D300 I find that the D500 is "light years ahead". I never liked the D300 above ISO 1000 - I have no issues with the D500 at ISO 3200, or even higher with some careful processing.

The D810 is better - but not worlds apart.

Cheers

Mike

13. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    Hi mike. Do you shoot in RAW or JPEG! I still have my D200/D300 and D3 and i still use them. The D300 was a vast improvement in low light and AF over the D200. So I was hoping after all this time the D500 would shot even more of an improvement than it does.
    Cheers.
    Mike

14. Panther

Panther

Jun 1, 2009
    Texas (KSKF)
    Okay I understand you now.
    From what I can ascertain, Nikon has never been strong in the JPG department.....

15. I shoot raw exclusively (at least with my Nikons).

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  16. +1 Mike (mneary). The D500 IS a very significant improvement in terms of iso and most certainly auto focus. I'm comfortable with iso 6400 with carefully applied noise reduction and other important LR adjustments.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    Hi Rick. Do you shoot in RAW or JPEG? what I am finding is the files from my D500 are already over sharpened with the default LR settings of 25%sharpening!! This very much different to all the older cameras I have. How do you treat your files from the D500. IE Sharpening/Clarity etc?
    Also what metering mode do you find works for you. Spot center average ISO settings. Manual or auto. Manual with a high restriction set?
    This question is open to all please.
    Cheers.
    Mike

18. photogramps

photogramps

May 6, 2012
    uk
    Roger
    Mike I am almost always working in:
    • Manual Mode with Auto ISO
    • Matrix Metering
    I don't use Lightroom but adjust sharpening and clarity individually in ACR.

• Like Like x 1