New Nikon macro - the 300/4.....

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Gordon Large, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

I was out with Mike Mac and Tony (aka Anthony) in a small park near Sandy Hook looking for birds, with the 300/4 on my D2x. We struck out on birds, but when we passed a flower garden I took these shots. If you have enough working room, the 300/4 works pretty well as a macro.

These two are only have minor crops -

This one is heavily cropped, using only 1MB of the D2x's 12+. Says a lot about the camera's sensor!

Gordon

2. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    Dang you guys and your D2x's.. going to cost me a bundle at Christmas time this year..

Great stuff...

Tim

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great captures, Gordon. That lens and camera make quite a couple. The colors and sharpness are remarkable.

4. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Tim -
    Thanks for the nice comment about the images. Sorry about the D2x. You already knew that you were going to get one, though. Might as well get it over with! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gordon

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gorgeous images Gordon. Your last several posts seem to indicate that you are becoming one with the D2X. 8)

6. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Frank. The lens/camera combination is great, but I never would have expected that it can be used as a macro. And the detail in the 90%+ crop bee image just amazes me.

Gordon

7. Gordon, I really like shot #1! The yellows in it just glow!! The crop sample is incredible. Great camera, great glass! :)

8. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Frank. Yup, I'm beginning to get the beast under control. It's funny that Mike Mac and I were talking last weekend about how much steeper the learning curve is for the D2x than it was for the D2h because there is sooo much you can do with the camera. Well worth the effort because of the results.

Gordon

9. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Kevin -
    I expecially like #1 too. The combination of colors and shapes works just right for me. It may be my all-time flower image. As for the crop, it just blows me away. I have a hard time believing that a crop that big is possible even with great glass and camera.
    Gordon

10. Well, it does, indeed!
    Cheers

11. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Harry -

But I never would have guessed that it does! I've got to ask - what the heck is your avatar?

Gordon

12. A male of Onthophagus taurus - a dung beetle. The females usually have simple heads but there are other species with much more bizarre head armatures.
    If you want to see the big version (I know I could have cleaned it more thoroughly):
    original.
    Cheers

13. Beautiful images Gordon. The lens seems to be doing right by you.

14. What a great combo, beautiful pictures, that narrow field of view is great for isolating the flowers, have you tried it with a 1.4 tc for close-ups, I bet you wouldn't have to crop.

Martin

15. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

The big image was, well, big. :lol: Very good macro! But now I have to ask another question. Why a dung beetle for your avatar?

Gordon

16. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Gordon -

The 300/4 is a wonderful all-purpose lens and also light-weight. Perfect, except that I wish it was faster (say 2.8) and had VR. Sounds a bit like your 300/2.8, doesn't it? The price of the 300/2.8 would be a hurdle, but so would the weight. Can you hand-hold the lens? Can you hand-hold and track birds? Half of me is hoping you say "yes", and the other half "no".
    :? :? :?

Gordon

17. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Martin. I haven't tried it with a 1.4 tc but I'm going to. Either this weekend or early next week a friend and I are going after wild flowers and butterflies, and I hope to try this combo. Hopefully you will see results next week! :) :) :)

Gordon

18. :lol: :lol: That is not an indication that I preferably dig in dung (although sometimes I do to catch beetles) but should refer to my primary interest as an entomologist - beetles. Dung beetles are not my study objects though. I specialized on Shortwinged Rovebeetles (which may also be found in dung very often because they feed on fly maggots). I just happened to like the dung beetle image.

Cheers

19. Beautiful light on the first two. Excellent images.