1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

NEW: Nikon P1000 w/ 24-3000 optical zoom

Discussion in 'Point and Shoot Cameras - All Brands' started by Walter, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Nikon COOLPIX P1000 Super-telephoto digital camera
    • 3000mm optical zoom—the most powerful zoom lens ever put on a Nikon COOLPIX camera
    • 4K Ultra HD video with HDMI out, stereo sound and an accessory hot-shoe
    • Rock-steady Dual Detect image stabilization and great low-light capability
    • RAW (NRW), time-lapse and Superlapse shooting plus great creative modes
    • Full manual controls along with easy auto shooting
    • 16MP 1 x 2.3 inch sensor
    • 7 frames per second
    • ISO 100 to 1600 w/ 3200 and 6400 available in some modes
    • SD storage media
    • EN-EL20a battery

90DDEA1E-7ECA-4B43-8DAF-019E845E5E7A.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    68761AB4-612D-4336-8F12-0B1B2278DE7A.png
    49B95957-1785-4E01-857B-2CDA2580AE02.png
    1BB703E9-3B38-43F7-B3E4-7F167FD43AD2.png
    411E2359-52F3-4EAE-91D7-1940412C2B09.png

2. f8 at the long end and a 1/2.3" sensor .....'nuff said..

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Probably good enough for identifying small birds at distance, but not likely to produce wall hangers. Unfortunately it weighs over three pounds.:eek: 

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. That's a lot lighter than the full frame equivalent ... oh wait, there isn't one :) 

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Anyone in the market for a bridge camera with a fairly long zoom and at least a sort of decent sensor should look at the Sony RX10.....it has a 1” sensor, and I think zooms out to 600mm. No idea how much that camera weighs or much else about it......

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Administrator

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    First sample image from Nikon:

thumbnailImage.png

:D :D :D 

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. They seem to be promoting it as a voyeur's camera.:D 

However that particular image looks like a still from some classic movie. Was it staged?

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Administrator

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    Sorry, it was only a joke. Not from Nikon! I believe it is a screen grab from a Hitchcock movie.

9. Yup, I missed the joke. :notworthy: 

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. The movie is Rear Window.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. I just found out about this camera. I have to say I'm intrigued. I have a new gear budget and this has made my short list.

12. Since I wrote my last post, which was back in July, I have actually purchased and used the Sony RX10 IV and love it. There's another thread on here about Bridge Cameras and I've posted some images and comments in there.

13. $1700!!! Wow

14. Having now had the RX10 IV for just over two months, I consider that $1700 well spent..... I've been having a lot of fun with this camera! I've gotten some images which have been interesting to me, whether or not other people consider them so, and sure, in many cases for one reason or another they may not be technically perfect nor probably would they stand up to severe scrutiny by a judging panel at an exhibition/competition, but that is not why I enjoy photography in the first place.

Rodney, I'm really not sure how to take that "Wow" comment and the spirit in which it was meant. ?? You think it's too expensive? What? Personally, I think the money spent for the Sony is a much better deal in terms of what the RX10 IV has to offer in specs and features when compared to the Coolpix P-1000. I have been very happy with my RX10. In any event, this is not my only camera and of course through the years many of us, including myself, have spent much, much more than that for a Nikon DSLR (or other brand) camera body and for various individual lenses....

Given that this thread is about the Nikon Coolpix P-1000, here is an article comparing that camera with Sony's RX10 IV:

Nikon P1000 vs Sony RX10 IV Comparison Review

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  15. If I got one, I think I'd mostly use it for video.

16. Didn't mean to offend. My reaction was just what I was thinking when I saw the price. If you love it, the price doesn't matter.

17. Not offended, just wasn't sure in which way to take your comment....sometimes I can be a bit too literal and that winds up getting me in trouble because I have misunderstood someone's intended meaning. On the surface, sure, at first $1700.00 seems like a lot for a bridge camera with a 1" sensor, but this thing is surprisingly sophisticated and offers a lot of control for the user, plus it's just plain fun to use and to carry around. :)  The lens is pretty remarkable, some good glass in there, and the range of course makes for great flexibility in shooting situations.

I did my homework before deciding to buy, too, by not only reading reviews but looking at various images shot by users, and that was an important factor in my decision. I saw some photos which were clearly snapshots and I saw some photos which were done by someone who knew what they were doing, and the difference was apparent. A lot of people buy one of these to use as a travel camera and I agree with them that it's ideal for that.

As much as I love this RX10, I am also still lusting after the Sony A7RIII and a couple of macro lenses....

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.