New Nikon Pocket Wizards vs Radio Poppers

Old PW Plus II = reliable triggers for your flashes in manual mode. Great reliability and had the advantage of letting you use cheap flashes that wouldn't normally work with your camera.

Radio Poppers came along, and basically sent your camera's signal to your flashes (they just repeat the signal, but using radio waves), so if you had posh TTL flashes to match your body you could have TTL flashes working day or night at distances (I think they have also been reliable).

New PWs - the MiniTT1 & Flex TT5. They took an age to come out for Nikon, but they've been out a few months now. They presumably offer similar functionality to the RPs, although they do so in a different way.

So, has anyone compared the two competing TTL offerings - are they as good as each other, or does one offer something the other doesn't?

Thanks

I have the new PWs and the RP's. I had meant to do a side-by-side evaluation, but so far I have not gotten around to it. They both work well. My observations so far:

I prefer the way the PWs mount. They are more secure, especially the transmitter, but they share the same weak shoe design that the Plus II's have. I already broke one . . . However, they do also have a tripod mount so that may be more secure on a light stand.

I have had no range issues with either system. I tested the RP's out to 75 yards no problem. I haven't gone beyond 30 yards with the PW's.

Reliability seems slightly better with the RP's. Never had a failure to fire with them. Had 2 or 3 with the PW's.

I like the way the PW's work seamlessly with the older Plus II's. Obviously the RP's don't do that, but it it still possible to mix small and large flash with the RP system.

I don't think you can go wrong with either system if you are just starting out. If you already have some Plus II's, it would make sense to stay with PW's.

Thanks for the reply John.
I have the new PWs and the RP's. I had meant to do a side-by-side evaluation, but so far I have not gotten around to it.
Yes I saw your post in a PW thread:
"I got my PWs yesterday (2 Flex and 1 Mini). The firmware was already up-to-date and they appear to work pretty well. I will be testing them more fully over the next few days as well as running some head-to-head comparisons with the Radiopoppers. First impressions are that I prefer the more solid mounting of the PWs and that the system works nicely with an SU800. "

The examples of RPs taped to flashes seem a little strange to me, and I'd prefer not to have to have a flash on my camera. I use D700s, so I assume I can use the pop up as a controller with the RPs (or do they work with the SU800 which I could get?), although perhaps I'd have to tape the RP to the body in some nasty way?

Reliability seems slightly better with the RP's. Never had a failure to fire with them. Had 2 or 3 with the PW's.
Interesting, I didn't expect that.

it still possible to mix small and large flash with the RP system.
Can you use either system with all studio lights? (I say 'all' as I realise each brand can work with specific studio lights, but will either work with any given studio light)

If you already have some Plus II's, it would make sense to stay with PW's.
I currently have 2 D700s, 2 SB800s, and a few studio flash heads. I have a cheap trigger that works with the studio flashes, and I've used the D700 popup for the SB800s, but until now I've not needed much control of my SB800s. I've got a job in a couple of weeks that I really need radio triggers for - I could get some reliable second hand PW Plus IIs, or even some Yongnuos, but I think it's worth me having TTL as an option, so I think I should get either the RPs or new PWs, just not sure which.

The examples of RPs taped to flashes seem a little strange to me, and I'd prefer not to have to have a flash on my camera. I use D700s, so I assume I can use the pop up as a controller with the RPs (or do they work with the SU800 which I could get?), although perhaps I'd have to tape the RP to the body in some nasty way?

I own Radiopoppers. Typically, I mount the transmitter to the top of my SU800. At times, I mount the transmitter above the pop up flash on my D700. Radiopoppers offers a small mounting plate that slides into the camera's hot shoe and positions the transmitter just above the pop up flash. It works quite well and does not require tape or velcro.

Glenn

I use D700s, so I assume I can use the pop up as a controller with the RPs (or do they work with the SU800 which I could get?), although perhaps I'd have to tape the RP to the body in some nasty way?
Ok, so there's a $20 attachement for Nikons with pop-up flashes, so that's good.

Can you use either system with all studio lights?
The RP PX transmitter (for use with SB800s etc) will trigger the JrX receiver, which can plug into any studio light with a sync cable.

Radiopoppers offers a small mounting plate that slides into the camera's hot shoe and positions the transmitter just above the pop up flash. It works quite well and does not require tape or velcro.
Thanks Glenn, I only just found that.

Radio Poppers don't currently have distributors in the UK (or anywhere else in Europe). They're also more expensive than the PWs, so I may have to go for PWs.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom