New - NX Studio

Real Name
Mike
Thanks. I'm a big fan of NX-D but never uses NXi. This should be a step up for me.

Real Name
Mike
I downloaded it. I'm so used to NX-D I'll have to get used to where everything is.
I find it won't open RAW conversions w/ SilverEfexPro2 to finish editing like it did in NX-D. I have to export as a JPG then open JPG in SEP2.

I never used NXi. What is it and what on NX Studio incorperates NXi?

Last edited:
My first impression is this looks pretty similar in layout to Lightroom (yea).
I do like the color control points and will likely be using this new SW.....

Real Name
Mike
I find NDStudio slower than ND-X when performing tasks. Screen goes black while task is being done.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I found it to be quite slow when changing things like exposure/brightness etc. I have an older 4k Acer laptop with and I7 and 16gb Ram. But overall it is a nice experience has a good feature set, similar to Lightroom, can even edit Videos and do slideshows. Will try it on my new I9 laptop with 64gb Ram and compare. Good review on DPReview btw.... If the fix the performance issues, it will be a nice free (!) alternative to LR and PS.

I've never used Nikon software. There are so many very good software options available today there is just no reason for me to try Nikon s/w.
I prefer Nikon's Raw conversion over LR but I almost always use LR. I may try this but I've already deleted ViewNX and Capture ND (or whatever their proper names are).

I recently tried to download NX-D only to find out the latest version (all that is available) will not download onto Windows 7. Then this announcement, and again, will not download onto Windows 7. My question is why? So far as I can tell 7,8, and 10 have always been compatible, but only 7 was also backward compatible and I have a few key programs that require that. I wonder if this isn't "pandering" to Microsoft who has finally given up support for 7. At any rate, no new software for me, and no new camera sales for Nikon.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I recently tried to download NX-D only to find out the latest version (all that is available) will not download onto Windows 7. Then this announcement, and again, will not download onto Windows 7. My question is why? So far as I can tell 7,8, and 10 have always been compatible, but only 7 was also backward compatible and I have a few key programs that require that. I wonder if this isn't "pandering" to Microsoft who has finally given up support for 7. At any rate, no new software for me, and no new camera sales for Nikon.
What do you mean when you say "only 7 was also backward compatible"? Can you tell us the software you have that can run on Win 7 but won't run on Win 10 - I can't think of any, except games that hit hardware directly. There is no great difference in backward compatibility between them. But there is one exception, 32 bit vs 64 bit. If your Windows 7 system is 32 bit then you really are stuck in the past, as more and more software is 64 bit.

Actually, I do run Windows 7 / 64. But Windows 7 has settings that can wrap older programs in "helper" software that makes them fully compatible, as if they were running on NT. These "helper" programs are not available on 10, or at least weren't when 10 first came out and I tried it.

The specific key programs are Quickbooks (the later versions are much less straightforward), MS Office including integration with their Critical Path software, and older Microsoft Works, an Astrological Program that I've used for years, a Legal program I've used for years, etc. I'm not inclined to go out and spend good money to replicate them.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Actually, I do run Windows 7 / 64. But Windows 7 has settings that can wrap older programs in "helper" software that makes them fully compatible, as if they were running on NT. These "helper" programs are not available on 10, or at least weren't when 10 first came out and I tried it.
In Windows 10 those settings are found by right-clicking the executable, then go to the Compatibility tab.

compat.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Well, I'm blushing. I skimmed the manual and read a commercial "Guide to" for Windows 10 and either I missed it or it wasn't there. I also think I may have tried it on a program I use it on in 7, and didn't get the same result. I'll download 10 (the handwriting is on the wall) and try again. BTW, is there an easy way to install just a blank background screen upon installation, or does it have to be changed afterward?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Well, I'm blushing. I skimmed the manual and read a commercial "Guide to" for Windows 10 and either I missed it or it wasn't there. I also think I may have tried it on a program I use it on in 7, and didn't get the same result. I'll download 10 (the handwriting is on the wall) and try again. BTW, is there an easy way to install just a blank background screen upon installation, or does it have to be changed afterward?
Once installed you go to All Settings/Personalisation/Background. You can choose a picture, a solid colour or a slideshow.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom