New - NX Studio

NX Studio crashes upon opening on my new Dell 2TB 10th g machine, as well as most Nikon products, they worked for a short while and then they crapped out. I'm so sick of their software I am ready to sell and switch to Canon. Any solutions??

Welcome to the Cafe, Chris!

Try uninstalling the programs and reinstalling them, as a program file may have become corrupt. If that doesn't solve your problem, it's likely something having to do with your computer system, which can be frustrating in and of itself and even more so because it can be difficult to find.

It doesn't make any economic sense to sell your gear at a loss and then buy new gear because of these software problems. Even if you can't get the Nikon software to work, there are plenty of third-party software packages that will do the trick for you and some of them are free. As an example, lots of folks here, probably most of them, never use the software made by a camera manufacturer regardless of the manufacturer.
Selling things that you cannot use is not a loss.

Welcome to the Cafe, Chris!

Try uninstalling the programs and reinstalling them, as a program file may have become corrupt. If that doesn't solve your problem, it's likely something having to do with your computer system, which can be frustrating in and of itself and even more so because it can be difficult to find.

It doesn't make any economic sense to sell your gear at a loss and then buy new gear because of these software problems. Even if you can't get the Nikon software to work, there are plenty of third-party software packages that will do the trick for you and some of them are free. As an example, lots of folks here, probably most of them, never use the software made by a camera manufacturer regardless of the manufacturer.
Reinstalling is useless. Been there, done that. Nikon software just seems to be incompatible with a new Dell machine. I even went so far as to check for corrupt jpg's. Nothing works.

Selling things that you cannot use is not a loss.

If you're thinking that you can't use your Nikon camera equipment because you can't get the Nikon software to work, you have a complete misunderstanding. I won't begin to try explaining why that's the case, as you don't seem to be open-minded about it or appreciative of the people who are trying to help you.

Last edited:
I finally got around to installing this package, and have only edited one image so far. Comparing the output jpeg with one from DXO PL, I think the NX Studio version has more accurate colors and more realistic-looking sharpening.

I'll be testing it on other files and will report my impressions in this thread.

Has anyone found a way to access the edit history of a file in NX Studio?

Actually, that isn't needed. The adjustment palette highlights where changes have been made with a yellow checkmark. I prefer a full edit history like DXO PL4 now provides, but I can live with NX Studio's implementation.

I'm comparing NX Studio with PL4, and I find that I really like how straight-out-of-camera raw images appear in NX studio. But the ClearView Plus feature of PL4 really is not reproducible in NX Studio.

Compare these two versions of the same image file.

_Z505533_005.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
_Z505533.jpg

However, I slightly prefer the NX Studio version of this image:

PL4
_Z505538.jpg

NX Studio​
_Z505538_004.JPG

I've always preferred Nikon's SW rendition for NEF files and this comparison reinforces my opinion. That said, LR does a pretty decent job and is a better overall solution for me so I've moved on from Nikon SW for the most part. Maybe I should revisit that (at least with certain files).....

U have a nikon camera ? use nikon software ...they are the best for your files , much better than any other software

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom