New OS Versions and Monitor Calibration

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by MarkR, Jun 22, 2007.

1. MarkR

MarkR

Jun 28, 2006
    Brighton,MI
    If I am running 10.4.9 and recently calibrated my monitor, would I need to re-calibrate immediately after installing 10.4.10? I'm just wondering if installing the new OS version would cause a problem with the calibration.

Thanks

2. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    I haven't hooked up my Pantone since the upgrade, but I don't see any difference. I'll have to check when I get home...

3. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    I upgraded from 10.4.9 to 10.4.10 and saw no difference in the monitor on my new MacBook Pro. The only thing that would affect your monitor would be an update to the Apple color engine, which is not mentioned in any of the update documentation.

4. MarkR

MarkR

Jun 28, 2006
    Brighton,MI
    Thanks Walter

5. Bennettskaya

Bennettskaya

Jan 13, 2006
    Edinburgh
    Wonderful - I find out that X.4.10 has been released and I have a good time looking at Mark's Chernobyl galleries and I see that it is powered by Zenfolio, which looks good.

On the topic of monitor calibration - can anyone direct me to a good tutorial because the topic makes my brain spin. I am using CS3 and I have never felt confident deciding what to do about monitor calibration or indeed any of the settings in photoshop. i don't have a calibrator (pantone, spyder or whatever) and I do make adjustments and calibrate but never feel really comfortable doing so because I find there are conflicts in what one thing or other seems to suggest.

6. Butchdog

Butchdog

May 29, 2007
    MN
    I'm going to jump in here too.
    I have a 20" i mac that is about a year old.
    Do I need to buy one of the above mentioned calibration units?
    Is there something I can do until then?
    Thanks for your help.

7. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    Mac OS X has a simple software calibration tool built into it, but it is heavily dependent on you making visual adjustments based on your own perception of what you see on the screen.

Hardware profiling devices display a series of color patches with known RGB values, and measure your monitor's actual RGB color output. They use this information to generate a color correction lookup table that is tailored to your specific monitor. They then set that color correction lookup table as the color profile so that colors are accurately displayed on your monitor.

When a tool that is color aware (like Photoshop) wants to display a certain pixel as a certain color, it uses this lookup table to translate the image RGB value into an RGB value required by the display to, as accurately as possible, display that color.

8. Butchdog

Butchdog

May 29, 2007
    MN
    Walter,
    Thank you for your response. That's good to know.
    I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

9. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    You are quite welcome. I am glad to share what knowledge I have. There are a number of very smart people here who have helped me too. Pay it forward is a good rule I try to live by.