New outdoor practice portrait session for your C&C's

Discussion in 'People' started by Steve S, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Would love some critique & critical comments on these shots I took today. Used a gold reflector on the 1st shot. Neither of these girls has any modeling experience whatsoever. Was a lot of work getting decent poses out of them. :?
    D2x/50 f1.4 used for both. Have more I will post tomorrow.
    original.

original.

2. Hi the first one is very nice but the second one is perfect. I love the second one. Great shots. Hope to see more in the near future.

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Steve - you are the master of big eyes! The eyes on model #2 are gorgeous! You MUST get in there and show them off.

The gold reflector seems to do something a bit funny with the color on girl #1's neck, under her hair.

4. Keep them coming, always nice to see your model shots. I like #2 the best. What I don't like about the 1st one is the burnt out highlights behind and to the left of the image. It really fights for attention with this pretty model

5. very nicely done Steve

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Steve,

Both images are very nice, but the first image doesn't pop out like the second. Could the first benefit from some tweaking in PS? The composition and posing are just fine...but it lacks the lustre of the second image.

7. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    I think you have done a nice job, especially on the second one. A redhead with fair skin is a hard act to light. In my amateur opinion the skin of the second model could use a bit more tan or color, other wise the composition, hair, etc were good.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks for the replys guys, I've got a ton of shots

to go through, well over 400 taken over a 3 1/2 hr period. At least most of them are in focus this time, compared to last week. :? For this shoot, I used the original D2X body that was sent into Nikon for focus problems. It's behaving a lot better now. The 2nd body, that was used last wk, is going in as soon as I get my D70 backup camera back for it's repair of the dreaded "Blinking Green Light of Death" problem. Biggest problem I had this time was getting some decent poses to work with! So, instead of lots of decent poses that are out of focus, I have 100's of (mostly) in-focus shots of crappy poses and goofy expressions. Most of the time, I couldn't get them to be serious. They were always goofing around. Ya, just can't win sometimes! :? Oh well, all good practice, just the same. Stay tuned for more.....

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hey - can you get them together for a shoot - in goofy mode. It might be cute! You know, pillow fight style... ;)

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    hmmm, you might be onto something there!

When Morgan asked if her fiance's kid sister could tag along, I immediately thought, sure, the more the merrier. But, when it turned into a circus much of the time, I began to wonder if I did the right theng. At least I got an assistant whenever the o other girl wasn't in the shot. Good idea though, I'l definitely think about it!

11. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I don't consider myself good enough to critique another photographers images. Maybe if I start it will help me get better as well. You get to be the test subject. Sorry Steve.

Image #1.

I like the pose and the subject.
    The lighting is to conflicting though. On the left side you have a blown out area and on the right shadow. If you could have turned the subject so that all of the background was shadow and then bounced some light on the subject it might have been better. Are her pants dirty, or that the new style?

Image #2

Love it. The only things I would change is to warm her skin a little. Also posing the hand with the rose so that you see the side of the hand might look more elegant.

I am prepaired for my flogging now. Let me have it.

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    You know, you're right on both counts, Charles

I should've placed her on the other end of the swing, and shot into the shadows to the camera left of the sun's position. As for the 2nd shot, yes, her sking could use a bit more warmth and a touch more color, even though she's a typical near "albino" reddhead, and that flower should've not only been pruned of it's leaves more, but like you said, tilted downward, more of a 45 degree angle, and showing only the side of her hand to the camera. Good stuff, thanks!