New P-n-S for Vacation...?

Last year, I took my D200 and three lenses to the Dominican for out vacation. I got quite a few spectacular photos, but I was really, really worried about the gear much of the time. I've been thinking of just getting a really good P-n-S (say, the Canon S95) to take to lighten both the physical and mental loads.

Thoughts on the wisdom of that?

S95 sounds like a good idea, but have you thought about Sony NEX series and Olympus PEN?

I've got a Canon S90. Good IQ, discrete, easy to hide in a pocket, looks like any other P&S etc. It's by no means a replacement for a DSLR, does some jobs better than others, but when Photography isn't your primary goal it's fantastic.

S95 sounds like a good idea, but have you thought about Sony NEX series and Olympus PEN?
While I do like that camera very much (and the four-thirds concept, in general), I'd really like to stay away from investing in another system. I want something with really good IQ, but as little bulk as possible. I, and I suspect a good number of cafe' folk, would LOVE it if Nikon came out with a micro four thirds body......
I've got a Canon S90. Good IQ, discrete, easy to hide in a pocket, looks like any other P&S etc. It's by no means a replacement for a DSLR, does some jobs better than others, but when Photography isn't your primary goal it's fantastic.
That's just it: while photography won't be a primary goal, good pics are important. I'm hoping to take an excursion to one of the local Mayan ruins while I'm there, but other than that, it'll mostly be just somewhat typical vacay pics. I'd just like a camera that's discreet and small, but that still gives me a LOT of controls and great IQ.

S95 is a good choice, but a little too small and slippery for my taste. I just picked up a G12 and so far I'm very happy with it. Not too big, and great image quality and handling. It won't fit into a shirt pocket, but far smaller than a D200 and lenses.

Both the Canon S90/S95 and the Panasonic LX5 are excellent choices.

The Canon S-series is a bit slippery but that can easily be fixed with some adhesive velcro tape.

If you're going to the beach I'd go with Canon; they make dedicated high-quality underwater housings for next to nothing.

Oh, I've been in lust with the G-series for a long, LONG time......

Gary,they are as close to a DSLR that you will find. I have a G9 which can be had used on C/L for $350. The waterproof enclosure is approximately $150 and very well built.
The G9 is a little snug, but fits in a front pocket. The thing I like about the G series is that you can change ISO, EV, modes etc. very quickly without the need for accessing via the menu. After the G9, they shortened the zoom, but added an articulating screen. Oh and the video is decent.

5744445104_0de95f84a3_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5743883701_4f16b79443_b.jpg

5505522278_64e889dbaf_b.jpg

5432273989_87f8d1c7ff_b.jpg

5432273979_05c2b8c7a1_b.jpg

I think I've "narrowed" it down to the S95, the G12, the Lumix, or the Oly X-Z1. However, since this will become Sweetie's camera, too, I think I'm likely to go with the S95 for the best combo of pocketability, performance, and ease of use.

Out of those listed above, I'd go with the S95 for the same reason: pocketability.

Yeah, I'm leaning that way. I figure if I get something that I have to carry around my neck, I might as well take my D200. That Oly is WAY tempting, though....

The S95 and a 16GB card are on the way right now! I thought it offered the best combo of IQ, pocketability, simplicity, control, and overall performance for my needs. Thanks to everyone for their input. I'll put this thing through its paces....

Among the 1st Results

Doing a bit of testing before we leave for vacay. I did some light editing of the JPEG, just for some added pop and contrast, but the SOOC was damned fine, too. I just have to fiddle. :biggrin:

5816552246_aa4b403413_z.jpg

Of Backyard Flowers-0016 by bigbabydaddy1968, on Flickr

Gonna take the S95 out to a niece's softball game and test skin tones, speed, etc. I really like how it handles.

Latest threads

Top Bottom