New panorama stitching tool

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Beezle, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Dude, don't they fire you for that? :wink:

2. I don't follow.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. I think Chris was saying that it's not for Mac OS.

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

6. Ah! Well, I have spent half my career at Apple writing Windows software... We aren't expected to limit ourselves. I use both platforms at will.

Paul, I am bugged about the watermark too. But I think the danged thing works pretty well. Their registration algorithm (how they align the images) and blending (probably laplacian pyramid) are about as good as I've seen. Or worked on. :wink:

7. That pano example, by the way, was shot with the "Beast." I am finding that the best use for that lens. Does a great job producing sharp almost-landscape stuff.

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

9. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I dunno, seems kinda pricey to me I'll take a way and see approach.

I paid $40 or so for PTAssembler and it's pretty darn good even if there are a few inconveniences working with 16-bit files. I believe PTGUI is simlarly cheap and they even have their own new stitching engine in the latest release as an alternative to panotools. At 99 Euros (I assume that's what € symbol is), this one would have to produce significantly better results to justify the price.

10. I use PTGui myself. And I invariably get great results with it.

But the time spent to crunch a pano is valuable to me. This app's registration algorithm may be worth the price. I've tossed some messy stuff at it and it figures it out.

Much faster than spending an evening entering control points.

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The program is an exe file, which means Windows operating system. And I believe that you work for Apple :wink: and :nudge:

I was a joke, and apparently a lame one at that, I realize that Apple writes software for Windows. But the demo does NOT work on a Mac, and there is other software (RawMagik jumps to mind) where the Mac version was due rsn, but never materialized. So I usually just skip looking at anything where they don't have a working Mac demo. I will wait and check on this one after a while though (or I could use it with my Dell, but I HATE processing pix on the Dell.)

12. Not a lame joke. Just humor challenged right now. Us Apple engineers are quite stressed out this time of year. You know, with MacWorld looming and all. :rolleyes:

I have actually met folks that could hardly believe I would use a Windows machine for anything. But I've never been very religious about computers.

Personally, I think the Mac platform has some great times ahead. The Intel switch, etc. etc. Very exciting time to be slaving away for Steve.

13. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Well, I downloaded the demo and gave it a spin. I tried it on a 5 image pano that I've never been able to get right due to some color variations in the clouds. Darned if it didn't put it together perfectly. I for one, will have the full version the moment it is available..

14. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

This software does seem like a wonderful tool for Panorama's!

If it works as well as it look like, it will be a winner!

One great idea that I have learned from seeing other's panos, is to take the shots vertically instead of horizontally, so that there is a better height-to-width ratio. I don't remember whose it was (on this forum) but I think it makes a big difference!

15. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I emailed Alexandre at Autopano, and he sent this reply:

Thanks for the feedback,

Yes, we have the ability to sell to the USA. We have to finish some stuff on the software like documentation and some stuff on the website.
    Our aim is to be able to sell it around mi-december.

Regards,

Alexandre

16. Eagerly waiting for the Intel machines, so if there is something that can be leaked....

17. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Here is an 18 image file put together with this software. I've done no post processing, other than resizing and changing to sRGB. Just for experimentation, I used raw files out of the camera, and told the software to "color correct". The completed image was almost 4 gig in size, and took 2.5 hours to render!

[​IMG]

18. Hey Randy

How does it stitch the waves?

19. RForshey

RForshey Guest

As you can see, it did an excellent job. I did absolutely nothing. In fact, I didn't even select the images! I pointed it to the folder and the software did the rest! At 100% I can't see where it did the stitching on any of the images.