1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New photo's of my friend Lee

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Ottrott's Human, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    I had my first no-show yesterday. Fortunately Lee showed up at my shoot to help with styling etc.... (still can't tie a corset to save my life!!) so she filled in for me.

Kept the day from being a total waste.:smile: She's a good egg!

D2Xs and 28-70 2.8. I might as well sell all my other lenses as this is the only one I use any more. Actually I do use the 24-70 2.8 for product shots for my company's website because it focuses closer and nearly doubles as a macro, but I still prefer the skin rendering of the older model for reasons I can't quite put my finger on:
    2749053561_1037bffc0c_o.
    NIKON D2Xs    ---    45mm    f/9.0    1/250s    ISO 100

2749246635_7d3ac65de1_o.
    NIKON D2Xs    ---    40mm    f/9.0    1/250s    ISO 100

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
  2. One could quibble over the hair style but not the image. I notice that you have purposely chosen to push the highlights right up against the limit but I like it. The corset is exquisite and I love the vibrant colors. Your pose and crop is good, well done Stu.

3. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Man.....you can't "dis" the hairdo....:biggrin:

It took over an hour.....we attached a wire coat hanger to the back of Lee's head and wrapped her hair around it. We didn't *quite* achieve the look I envisioned, but we worked hard at it!!

I wanted a porcelain skin look for this set. We applied a very light foundation makeup followed by powder to her entire body, but she's a tan, half Asian so ultimately I had to tweak the shots in photoshop to try and get the effect I wanted.

Close, but Lee and I have already exchanged many emails about how to improve this look in the future.

As for poses.....I gave Lee some basic direction veiled in an overall concept and she just ran with it. She is a posing monster and a rare talent in front of the lens.

Thanks Gordon! I appreciate your comments.....as always!

4. codeblue1961

codeblue1961 Guest

I would say that Lee needs to have more time in front of the camera. Nice shoot, very creative.

5. fascinating discussion about the pushed lighting.... between you and gordon
    love the porcelain quality to her skin with this effect

i love the strong CLAVICLE in the second shot
    that sharp edge is appealing to me
    as a physician, i guess i like the exaggerated anatomic landmarks.... FWIW
    well done, Stu

as usual

6. Stuart, #2 is just superb. The strong diagonal lines in this pose and crop keep me looking at this photo.

Is that white paper that you've lit to appear grey or is that actually grey paper? I'm having fits with my white muslin!

I've had two MM models flake and no-show on me for no reason without a call. I'm giving up on models and sticking with local kids or a bowl of fruit for a still life.

7. drdrew

drdrew

Dec 28, 2007
    missouri
    yummy!

8. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    Now you mentioned the wire coat hanger, I will never look at this picture the same :smile: Great stuff.

9. These are outstanding! Stu, I've missed you around here!

10. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    There's a cleaniness about these that I think are outstanding. Maybe it's the colors, they work so well together. Composition is fantastic. Do you use a stool to stand on?

11. I love the second one. Definitely looks like a porcelain doll.

12. Beautiful work Stu.............. hope you and family are well my friend! :cool: 

G :smile:

13. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    She is incredibly talented. When I first met her a couple of years ago she was regarded as one of, if not *the*, best model in my immediate area and was kind of difficult to get hooked up with........I'm still amazed every time I get to work with her. Not sure how I got so lucky! I started off terrified by her, but over the course of a few shoots started to get comfortable working with her and eventually we became very good friends. Yet another example of meeting a special person and gaining a great friend via photography!

Weird, but when it comes to the female form I'm a clavicle guy. Strange I know, but there something about the clavicle and neck that is very appealing to me. I actually over-emphasized it in this shot initially and had to tone it down a touch in post.

To get the skin as porcelain as possible, I started with all over body makeup and powder, but then pushed the midtones and used selective desat in post.

Not perfect, but pretty close to the look I was hoping for.

Thanks Greg.

This paper is Savage brand Studio Gray. I usually use Slate Gray, but the Studio Gray seemed to work a bit better with the colors of the corset and makeup. The studio space I use is part of a camera shop so I can just grab rolls until I find the color I want. Handy!:smile:

I have never had any luck with muslins......too wrinkly for one thing.

I find paper very easy to use.....relatively cheap to replace when you use it up or get tired of a color and very easy to *fix* in photoshop. I generally create a mask layer and then use a soft brush set to about 25% opacity to sample and color over large areas of the paper to even things out, get rid of wrinkles and fix heel scuffs or foot prints and to emphasize shadows. Then use Gaussian Blur on the painted areas to blend everything together.

This was my first no-show, but most folks tell me it happens to them a lot so I guess I have been lucky so far.

Don't get discouraged though.....I think most of the young women who do this for fun are pretty level headed and dependable....based on my limited experience. Yes.....you will most certainly run in to a flake from time to time, but you have to take the bad with the good.

Thanks Mitch.

Nowhere close to your level of creativity, but thank you......I'll pass the comment along to Lee!:wink:

I know...right?!:biggrin:

Thank you Sonya.....that's sweet of you to say!! I'm sure I have missed some great work by you!:redface:

For one thing they are shot *and* processed a little bit brighter than I usually do. The colors do work nicely together though...I was pleased with how the makeup and wardrobe turned out.

Sometimes I use a ladder, but not this time. Lee isn't tall......5'4".....so I usually shoot her from a standing position or often kind of hunched over a bit.

It's a real shame she isn't tall enough to do Fashion Photography on a more professional level because she is so good at it. Life isn't always fair!:redface:

Thank you Anthony!! The second one *would* be my favorite if it weren't for her hands in the first. I really like that element of the first shot.

Thank you Graeme.....we're well......winding down summer vacation for the girls. Hope you and yours are doing great!

And one more......Lee's pick from the shoot:

2748917369_6fd40ae3df_o.
    NIKON D2Xs    ---    40mm    f/9.0    1/250s    ISO 100

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2008
  14. Stuart, I think the coat hanger was an excellent idea. You both did a great job with the powder/makeup as it looks very evenly done every where that we can see. The porcelain look you have captured is not over cooked as is easy to do. I love the lighting in both but the first is my favorite as she look so graceful up on her toes.

15. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Pretty awesome stuff - you definitely nailed a very cool Geisha vibe with these. Way to salvage the day too. Though I don't know if "salvage" is fitting because after all you did shoot with the amazing Lee. Ya lucky duck you!!! :biggrin:

That hair is off the hook crazy - I love it!

16. Fantastic work Stu. Too bad on the no-show, but nice to have such a beautiful stylist handy to step in. Never thought about it, but an added plus for me using Sable :wink:

Love the angles on both shots. Beautiful my friend!

17. Stuart, I think the "no show" did you a favor....these are simply amazing photos!!!

18. i love these shots

19. Very nice I like the proccessign on this one

20. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    You rock, Stu. Thanks for posting here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.