New Picture Controls Available

Didn't see a post on this yet, so please forgive if this is not news. Nikon has two new picture controls available: "Landscape" and "Portrait". I just downloaded them myself, but haven't tried them yet. Could be useful though. Here's the URL for the English versions:

http://nikonimglib.com/opc/index.html.en
Tks for the heads up but just wondering here if they are not the same as D2X I, II and III picture controls. :smile:
Any comments are welcome
Antonio

:Whistle:

Tks for the heads up but just wondering here if they are not the same as D2X I, II and III picture controls. :smile:
Any comments are welcome
Antonio

:Whistle:

Apparently they are not the same, Antonio. I have not shot with them yet however, so don't yet know how they differ from the D2X pic controls. Hopefully we'll see some samples soon.

Real Name
Paul
There is a separate D2X download from these two mentioned. Interestingly, there are also D700 downloads available.

I just downloaded the Portrait & Landscape and although I haven't loaded them up to my camera yet,
but I have loaded them into Picture Control on Nikon NX2.

They look pretty good so far, the portrait in some early views looks as if it could give good skin tones,
and the Landscape is a bit like Vivid / D2XMode3 but maybe a little more supple.

I need to load them up into the camera and give them a good work out,
but preliminary views in CNX looks as if they will be useful...

ADDED: I just tried the Landscape Mode and even on skin tones it looks good and the photo also POPS out.
Still early days though... LOL...
I tried it using these settings with Landscape Mode (In CNX2)...

Contrast -1
Brightness -1
Hue -1

question

I just got the picture controls into the CF card and tried to load them to camera but...
it seems it can only take 4 picture controls of that type. There is no room for more, I have to delete one of
D2XmodeI
D2XmodeII
D2XmodeIII
Portrait
Landscape

The camera has also some positions C1 to C7 but I cannot load those picture controls in those positions

Does anyone know why there are different files dor each camera model?

I thought it was just a curve, which could be uploaded to any model.

Does this mean that the three sensors (D3, D300, D700) are different and thus need different files to achieve equal results?

Thanks for the heads up Scott.I did a quick check of Landscape with the NX2 version on a couple of shots and it looks to be a slightly less vivid version of Vivid.Don

Thanks for the heads up Scott.I did a quick check of Landscape with the NX2 version on a couple of shots and it looks to be a slightly less vivid version of Vivid.Don

That's pretty much what I found too, Don. I need to shoot some with these profiles to get a better feel for them, though.

I've tried them with Capture NX2. Just viewing Portraits, I quite like the Portrait mode, but my monitor isn't calibrated so I'm not putting too much effort into this yet.

This is the first time I've looked at the different modes, and I'm not seeing what I was expecting. Using NEFs from my D70, the order from Bland to Vivid is something like this:
D2XMODE1
D2XMODE2
D2XMODE3
Neutral
Portrait
Standard
Landscape
Vivid

I was expecting the D2XMODEs (certainly 3) to be more vivid. Maybe they are when using other cameras.

I just got the picture controls into the CF card and tried to load them to camera but...
it seems it can only take 4 picture controls of that type. There is no room for more, I have to delete one of
D2XmodeI
D2XmodeII
D2XmodeIII
Portrait
Landscape

The camera has also some positions C1 to C7 but I cannot load those picture controls in those positions

Same here. The D300 manual shows that Custom Picture Controls C1-C9 (nine available?) but can only load 4. Does anyone know how you can utilize them or are we limited to only 4 extra Picture Controls?

Just read the manual again and it looks like the extra positions for PC's are just for if you want to modify the existing PC's and then save them under a different name. Maybe we are are limited to only 4 new controls that can be downloaded into the camera via CF card?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
OK - probably some really "duh" questions! :confused: I just got the D300 and haven't even shot with it yet!

Do Picture Controls effect both JPEGs and NEF files?

Assuming they effect NEFs, do they just provide a starting point in NX?

What affect do Picture Controls have if one is using ACR?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks so much!

OK - probably some really "duh" questions! :confused: I just got the D300 and haven't even shot with it yet!

Do Picture Controls effect both JPEGs and NEF files?

Assuming they effect NEFs, do they just provide a starting point in NX?

What affect do Picture Controls have if one is using ACR?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks so much!

Not "duh" questions at all - it is somewhat confusing.

Picture Controls do effect JPEG and TIFF files, and to NEF files if you convert using NX/NX2. If you convert a NEF file using another converter such as ACR, that Picture Control info is ignored, as I understand it. AFIK, no converter other than NX/NX2 can utilize the Picture Control data embedded in a NEF file. If someone knows differently, maybe they can chime in.

Hope that helps...

I just downloaded the Portrait & Landscape and although I haven't loaded them up to my camera yet,
but I have loaded them into Picture Control on Nikon NX2.

Can you please explain to me how this is done? I downloaded the modes; opened up NX2 and tried to load the modes into NX2 but got nowhere?

thanks

All I did was to download the Picture Control for NX files, then double-click on the files one at a time to run the intall. After doing that, I opened an image in NX2, and the Portrait and Landscape Picture Controls were there for me to use.

Hope that helps...

All I did was to download the Picture Control for NX files, then double-click on the files one at a time to run the intall. After doing that, I opened an image in NX2, and the Portrait and Landscape Picture Controls were there for me to use.

Hope that helps...

Hmmm....that's essentially what I did...but they're not in NX 2 for me?

Hmmm....that's essentially what I did...but they're not in NX 2 for me?

That must be frustrating. I don't know why it wouldn't work for you. Just a thought - did you possibly have NX2 open when you tried the install? I had nothing open at all, except a Windows Explorer window, when I ran it on mine. Maybe try closing everything, maybe even a reboot, and do the double-click to install again. Other than that, I don't have any suggestions. Maybe someone else can chime in...

Not "duh" questions at all - it is somewhat confusing.

Picture Controls do effect JPEG and TIFF files, and to NEF files if you convert using NX/NX2.
:confused:
Is the only way these controls can be used through NX/NX2? Will loading them into the camera affect images if using Photo shop elements, etc?

Now that I just purchased a D300, I'm interested.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Latest threads

Top Bottom