New PrintEXIF v2.0 Script Uploaded

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by joecolson, Oct 15, 2005.

1. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Today I uploaded a new version of the script PrintEXIF that can be used with Photoshop CS2 to "print" EXIF information in a frame at the bottom of an image. For optimum use, EXIF information should be copied to the IPTC caption field by Nikon Transfer. If Nikon Transfer is not used, some of the EXIF information is not available (lens description for example). For background, see this thread:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=48164

This version, 2.0, adds a number of features/capabilities DPR & Nikon Cafe members have asked for, including:

1. Option to print only the signature/copyright information
    2. Lens selection list to allow the selection of lenses if the EXIF information is not available
    3. Font and color selections without having to modify the script
    4. Option to add a logo or small image in the bottom frame

The script works with Photoshop CS2 only and will work on either Windows or Mac platforms. This script is customized for Nikon DSLRs.

The user interface dialog has been changed to group the global options at the top:

[​IMG]

Here is an example of what the script does:

[​IMG]

To download the script, use this URL:

http://www.printexif.com/PrintEXIF/PrintEXIFv2.0.zip

The download folder contains the script, a folder with sample logos including a couple of Nikon logos, and a Readme file with installation and customization instructions. I will put up a few Web pages when I have an opportunity. As usual, your comments and feedback are greatly appreciated and have contributed to the script's development. An e-mail address is included in the Readme file.

This script is freeware and has been the product of DPR & Nikon Cafe members. I am providing this version as a way of contributing something to the Forums that I enjoy and from which I have learned so much.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Awesome inmprovement Joe, esp for those of us who are "script challenged" Thank you!

3. Thanks for doing this!

I have never used it before but, will give a try.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank You Joe,

The image of the birdie is fantastic :>)))

Good to see ya stranger

5. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

that is why cool Joe..
    My question is this, I like to use Matura MT Script as my copyright font, how do I change the script so I can use that font?

6. Thanks again, Joe. I always love your PrintEXIF

7. Joe

Thanks a bunch.

Really do appreciate this.

Russ

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Joe! You are really keeping on top of this program. Great work!

9. Brian

Brian

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto
    Thanks Joe. Will give it a try when I reinstall my CS2. Used a lot of your previous versions and love them. Good work!

10. This looks very useful, but does anyone know of anything that will give similar results with Photoshop 7?

11. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Thanks to all of you who use or plan to try the PrintEXIF script. A few answers to questions that have been raised:

Q: Can PrintEXIF be used with PS7? Is there an equivalent script for PS7?
    A: PS7 does not have a scripting environment and doesn't support scripts. You'll need to create an action in PS7 to do what PrintEXIF does.

Q: How do I add fonts?
    A: The Readme file that is in the download package covers this in detail. You first need to find the Postscript name for the font using a short script that is supplied with PrintEXIF. Then you'll need to edit the script and add two array entries. The editing only requires a text editor like Notepad and can be done by a non-programmer.

12. Joe,

Very smooth. Thanks for adding the flexible parameters. I can't think of anything that I would change.

13. Thank you Joe for the script. You know how much I love your scripts.

14. Thanks for the script very useful.. will start using it this week..

BTW where can I get the logos for the D2x and D70 to use??

15. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Eric,

The only way that I'm aware of to get the logos for the D2x and D70 is to scan them from Nikon literature. I know that method works. :smile:

Joe

16. Joe is there a way to add other converters besides the Nikon ones? i.e Kenko Pro 300 ???

17. It doesn't work with PS/CS ?

18. Joe,
    You sent me the set up for CS and honestly I was afraid to try it after looking at the link. This time I took a deep breath, read the instructions very carefully and went for it. Thank you so much! I will include a shot to show I did it! still need to refine it and edit my lens's etc but I appreciate this alot.
    [​IMG]
    Dave
    i looked at the photo and chose to PP the raw and post the after work, I am having a ball with this exif thingy :^)
    [​IMG]

19. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Eric,

If you're comfortable with hacking JavaScript, you can open the script using a text editor or the Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit (comes with CS2) and simply substitute your TC for one of the Nikon TCs that are hard coded into the script. Just find each instance of the TC you're replacing and substitute your TC instead. Save the script and you're good to go.

Joe

20. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    The latest version (v2.0) only works with CS2. There is a version that works with CS (v1.6) but it doesn't have as many features. You can find it here: http://www.joecolson.com/PrintEXIF/downloads.htm