New PS CS Process

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Here are a few shots with the new PC CS process that Carol and others helped me with.

Some Ibis:
    [​IMG]

Very shallow DOF on this one:
    [​IMG]

Eagle:
    [​IMG]

Comments?

Frank

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well Flew,

You did a great job.
    May be a tad over saturated. But sure look Nice.

Good job.

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    OK I'll Bite.....

Not litterally...

The "process" is?

I assume it is not part of our prior techings?

Shhh....don't talk about it too loudly....shhhh.....

4. Hey Frank........

GREAT job, still waiting for the water here to stop being an ice cube and melt that ice away! Went ice fishing the other day :lol: but no
    pics in quite a while :cry: SOON!!!!

5. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Frank....Some Frank Observations

No pun intended of course...

I stared hard and here are my opinions...

A) The birds amongst the water plants look overcooked and the vegetation id way too brilliant green....I honestly don't remember it that way. The ibis looks as though he just did psychedelic shrooms or something...and they affected his colors :) Don't get me wrong...he is looking purty...but is he looking as you remembered him when you shot him????????

B) The bald eagle shot has totally lost the early morning long light glow that was present when the shot was taken. It looks more like a 10:00 5200K shot than the 5800-5900 or so we were at when that was captured.

Just my observations. Course, I was standing in a freezing cold swamp all afternoon....

6. PSCS Land

Well, flew, you've finally gotten your hands wet. Your journey into PSCS land has begun just in time for release 2, which is scheduled for May.

I agree with a couple of others here. The first two are over saturated and detract from the quality of your photography. I don't know how you did this, but my recommendation would be to stay away from hue and saturation unless you really need to.

The hard part about PS is there are many ways of doing the same thing. This can be frustrating and confusing when you first start using the program.

I just got the book Iliah recommended by Martin Evening, "Adobe Photoshop CS for Photographers". It's excellent. There are lots of tips and tricks that you might find useful. It's very well written with lots of examples and covers just about everything from soup to nuts. It also comes with a CD and tutorial.

BTW, I also have had trouble with saving images in multiple formats stored in different folders. The image you are working on has to be closed before you can access the last saved image. This happened to me when I process and store my image "masters" as PSDs. Using that image I do another "store as" to create my jpeg files for the web. Without closing the PSD first, I find myself processing the PSD instead of the jpeg.

You eagle photo could probably be cropped for greater impact. Hope this helps!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    All,

Thanks for your feedback. Most felt that the pics are over-saturated, and I'll admit that I did boost the saturation, too much I guess. I'll make note of that on future pics. Jim, you are correct about the Eagle. I did change the WB more towards midday light. If you hadn't been there, I might have gotten away with this one. :oops:

The bottom line I guess is that I got a little carried away with the neat tools in PS.

Jim, as for the new process, it is just an action that automatically brings up each of the tools that I use in PS CS in the correct order. It is intended to speed up my processing. As you and others have noted, I still need to learn to make the correct adjustments. :? No real change in work flow, other than automating some of the steps.

Thanks to you all for your honest feedback.

Frank

8. Frank
    There are so many tools that it can gt overwhelming, I have found though that I use PSCS for croppign and resizing and final sharpening, using the Miranda plug-in. I do most of my color correction in capture, I have found that sometimes less is more if you know what I mean.

9. Frank:

I like all three, but the eagle really stands out. And remember one thing: All the technical knowledge you learn does not make the final image good. Your own taste and what you are trying to show is the real test of a good image. I am sure that all great artists have been told by others that the colors are too bright, the image wrong, etc. But Picasso, Van Gogh still chose to show their images as they wished. In the end, you are the decider of how an image looks. Something I think we all forget from time to time.

Gil

10. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    frank...awesome shots and images looks great...could you explain the new process? or if not, i don't mind

11. Good job Frank!! I think you have got the hang of it!

12. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Nice work Frank. I like the saturation! 8)

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    A couple of folks have asked for the process and so I'll summarize it below. Note that the process itself did not 'cause' the saturation levels that some have noted as being too high here. Those were my choices (right or wrong is another discussion....;-)).

My 'new' process isn't greatly different than the one I used when I was using Paint Shop Pro (PSP 9). I have just automated several steps (and automated isn't really the right term, because all I am doing is automatically bringing up the tools that I want to use, in the order that I normally use them). In any case, here's what I'm doing:

- Open .NEF in NC and set levels, curves, black points, turn off sharpening, no USM.

- Save as a TIFF.

- Open in PS CS, and set Shadows / Highlights / Curves, Levels, Sharpen using the FM Intellisharpen plug-in, crop (if necessary), resize to 900 pixels max width using the FM Resize Pro plug-in, add borders and signature.

- Save as a high-quality JPG.

Like I said before, nothing magic here. Just more automated.

Does that make it more clear??

Frank

14. With my computer in the shop I must withhold my comments because my wife's monitor is terrible.