New Purchase Help

I could use a little help from my friends here at the Cafe. I have a D3 and a D7000. I enjoy shooting sports and landscapes. Will I benefit from selling both and getting either a D800 or D600?

I could use a little help from my friends here at the Cafe. I have a D3 and a D7000. I enjoy shooting sports and landscapes. Will I benefit from selling both and getting either a D800 or D600?

I shoot sports with a gripped D700. Borrowed a D3 from a friend one time and there was no comparison, the D3 was a superb sports camera. Love my D800 but can't imagine it would facilitate sports like your D3, although it is an excellent landscape photography platform.

I've got the 800 and still prefer using the D3 for my rodeo work, faster and I don't usually
crop much or need those monster files (as gorgeous as they are) :biggrin:

I shoot sports with a gripped D700. Borrowed a D3 from a friend one time and there was no comparison, the D3 was a superb sports camera. Love my D800 but can't imagine it would facilitate sports like your D3, although it is an excellent landscape photography platform.

Thanks for your insight

Unless you're shooting sports with strobes (e.g., where the frame rate doesn't matter), I suspect you're going to be disappointed with both the D800 and D600 as sports cameras. Once you're accustomed to the 9fps in the D3/D3s or 8fps you could obtain using the D700 with the base and larger battery, you'll find that the 4 fps of the D800 and 5.5 fps of the D600 are just too slow (you also need to keep in mind that the specs are best-case figures; those numbers slow down if you're balancing frame rate and focus).

I know shooters who started using the D4 with its 10 fps who now think that the D3 is too slow.

I'd probably sell the D7000 and replace it with the D800 for landscapes. However, I'd keep the D3 for sports.

Unless you're shooting sports with strobes (e.g., where the frame rate doesn't matter), I suspect you're going to be disappointed with both the D800 and D600 as sports cameras. Once you're accustomed to the 9fps in the D3/D3s or 8fps you could obtain using the D700 with the base and larger battery, you'll find that the 4 fps of the D800 and 5.5 fps of the D600 are just too slow (you also need to keep in mind that the specs are best-case figures; those numbers slow down if you're balancing frame rate and focus).

I know shooters who started using the D4 with its 10 fps who now think that the D3 is too slow.

I'd probably sell the D7000 and replace it with the D800 for landscapes. However, I'd keep the D3 for sports.

Thanks for your help

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom