New Raptor in Town

Discussion in 'Birds' started by HarryB, Sep 20, 2005.

1. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hi you'll,

I've been busy catching up on my backlog of pics needing post processing. Here's a raptor I caugh as he was rossting on THE TREE. The lighting was harsh and he of course was terribly backlit but I got a few passable shots of him. Looks like a golden eagle to me but I'm not sure because you usually don't get golden eagles down here. The only other possibility due to its size is a juvenile bald eagle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Very Nice. I would love to borrow THE TREE for a while and your eye while we're at it :biggrin:
    I think you may be right about a juvenile bald eagle I don't know if the feathers go far enough down the legs to be a golden but that seems to be one of the few ways to tell the difference.

4. You may not get Golden Eagles down there regularly but this one is town and ready to kick butt. Looke like he is giving notice to stay off of his perch. Well done images in tough conditions.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Harry good eye kiddo. Nice image

That may be one of the fledges from last years nest.

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

1st the shots although backlit are your usual excellent work, I go with Juvi Bald eagel, you lucky so and so :rolleyes: :smile:

2nd there's no need to shout THE TREE we see the tree and it's looking a little poorly :frown: :smile: hope it survives your upcoming trip !!! :wink:

7. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Everybody would love to borrow THE TREE but I'm keeping it. :biggrin:

I'm leaning towards it being a golden eagle but I'm hoping one of our resident experts can make it more definite.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Great catch of a magnificent bird Harry. I can't wait to get back down there. :smile:

9. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    Hi Harry,

Nice shots of the "newbie"! Have you seen it again or just that one time? I gotta get up there!

10. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    well, well, well...

always nice seeing a familiar face and running into a friend. Harry I always enjoy your pictures and these certainly don't disappoint.

And it's nice to see them posted here in the company of TRUE, Nikon photographers, not that ratty bunch of Canonites... :biggrin:
    (did I say that out loud?)

11. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Gordon. He looked liked he was moving in because he stayed on THE TREE for close to two hours.

12. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Yeah, he could be.

13. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thank you Ben.

THE TREE is dead so I don't reckon it will be looking that good except for its daily visits from a variety of raptors. :biggrin:

You can't just say the tree when you are talking about THE TREE. It just doesn't have the right amount of respect for a national treasure. :wink:

14. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Frank and I am looking forward to your next visit.

15. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Trish,

That was the only time I've seen him so far.

16. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida

Hey Angelo,

I didn't know you were hanging out here. Glad you liked th epics. Its fun being with other Nikon shooters but at times its necessary to venture forth and demonstrate that's there an alternative to the evil empire. :biggrin:

17. ejg220

ejg220 Guest

Big bird

Hi Harry,

It's Ellen here, Harris's sister. How come that big bird wasn't there when we were visiting?

My brother told me to look at these pictures. It is most definitely an immature Bald eagle. The beak is much more pronounced than a GE, and the color variations in the plumage are excellent field marks as well. Here is a good description of an immature Golden from PWRC:

Immature:

Plumage almost entirely dark brown
    White bases to outer secondaries and inner primaries produces oval, white patch
    White tail with broad, crisp, dark terminal band

Great shots of a great bird, very likely one of this year's babies finding the good life in Florida.

18. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: