New reef pics!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gho, Jun 18, 2005.

1. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Shot another tank the other day - a 350 USG monster! Oh how I envy people that have such nice things. This tank has a sump (filtration system) that is actually 10x larger than my entire display tank!

Soooo much beautiful stuff in it too! My wife asks me how come our tank doesn't look like that :/

Hope you enjoy. I'd love for some constructive critisism exactly what I got on the last thread... Of course, I don't expect it. So maybe a 'yeah,' 'neigh,' or 'uhhh' will do :|

Entire gallery here:
    http://www.ximinasphotography.com/galleries/thumbnails.php?album=63

Here's a few shots - click on the thumbnail for a larger image:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Nice looking shots, Steve S. and I tried some aquarium shots the other day...WHAT A DISASTERS THAT WAS :roll:

3. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Yup, Gaye... and other dial-up users. I did a thumbnail linky thing so that y'all not bogged down with huge images.

Just clicky on the thumbnails you want to see for a bigger version.

Hope it's not too troublesome for others.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Beautiful series Greg. The colors are wonderful. It is amazing what beauty people have in their homes.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    These are great Gregory! But the thumbs don't link to the right pictures, you know. Of the other pictures I'm getting , I really like this one:
    [​IMG]
    It gives the impression of an alien place (as do many of your reef tank shots.)

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gregory,

Hope I gave some useful feedback on your site.

Just my opinions, and they really don't count for much.

Don't know all the technical things to look for :>))

Overall I think they are wonderful.

7. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    LOL... Sorry, but the way you put it was funny. It just takes a little practice 's all. Be sure to check out these lessons - the begining stuff is prolly not helpful, but the "Techniques section" has some tips on getting decent results from a tank:

www.ximinasphotography.com/lessons

8. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I agree. Only if I could get something like that in my house, I'd be overjoyed!

9. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I noticed that about the linking and ordering thing... I've finally figured it out. The page changes depending on the sort order! Ugh... Oh well.

Try clicking on this first:
    http://www.ximinasphotography.com/galleries/thumbnails.php?album=18&page=1&sort=nd

That will sort by file name, descending order (-) which is how I linked them originally, and the thumbs will match up.

I liked that "aptasia forest," as I call it, also. It's somewhat embarassing to have so many in your tank though, but the owner and me were having a good chuckle about it. It's actully a pest anemone, kinda like having weeds in your garden.

Here's another shot of aptasia that I like - I think they are beautiful anemones, only if they weren't a pest:

[​IMG]

10. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Wonderful pictures! Makes me want to get an underwater enclosure for the D70 and to jump into the Red Sea (well, I'd have to drive 4 hours to get there).

11. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Wow, you really went all out! Thank you sooo much for the comments, Shammu Girl!

The one that you commented on "too blurred" - that shot was actually processed using lighter sharpening, as I think I oversharpen at times. I'm thinking for corals, I need to sharpen a bit more.

As for the Chrismastree worm being too far left, I sometimes get kinda sick of the standard rule-of-thirds placement and move things around, and for some weird reason, I actually prefer things to be a bit closer to the edges. I guess I'm kind of an extremist. :D

12. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    As ever you nailed those birds of the sea. Only those that have ever tried to do reef tank shots will appreciate the difficulty much less the excellent results that you get. Reef tanks aren't on my list but if they were, it would be for fish. You know, for the Halibut :wink: I've tried those zoo reef tanks and nothing but mush.

13. Gregory, I've always been amazed at your reef pics. They're very nicely done. These make me long for my tank that I just sold a few months back. I want another but it'll have to wait.

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gregory,

I tried one fish shot in a bowl.. lololol

Forget it.

You do a great job.

I really liked that little christmas tree fellow. Just not in the corner..lolol......
    Hey we all see different.

Maybe I need to get out of my tunel vision :>)))

the last one you posted is gorgeous.

15. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Wow, that's really cool that you're so close to the Red Sea. Have you ever gone diving? I would love to go diving one of these days. I'd prolly choose the Fiji Islands.... Oh what a thought.... I guess one can dream, eh?

Oh, it's not too difficult. I've seen some really awsome shots taken by complete camera noobs, and there's plenty of photograhers waaaay better than me. It just so happens that I'm like the only one that ever posts reef shots, so you guys don't have anything to compare too - "Competitive edge" :D

I actually messed up this one pretty good. I couldn't get my strobes positioned right, and they were not putting out enough light - normally bring my studio strobes, but it was an informal session, so I tried to squeak by with SB800s. Add to that, it was a larger tank, so I really needed more light.

Also messed up on the processing. Anyone notice that the colors were off on the full tank shot? Welp, I fixed it (kinda, still not sure if I'm happy with it):

[​IMG]

Zoo tanks actually need a moderate amount of light to get decent colors out of them. All my zoos are brown :/

Did you have a reef tank too? That guy's tank makes me want a reef tank, and the really sad thing, is that have a reef tank. I'm think I'm going to try the zeovit system to try and eek more color from my corals.

Now, that I haven't tried. I've seen some awsome shots of bettas though. Alls I gotta do now is get a betta!

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Since seeing a documentary about dredge shirmp fishing in the Sea of Cortez, I hold out little hope for the ultimate state of the oceans. It will take a few more centuries, but the result is inevitible unless 'lifestyle changes' are taken up by all of humanity: the oceans will go entropic and tanks like yours will be the only source of this beauty. I'm sure photos like yours will be highly prized in the future.

Remember the movie Silent Running?

17. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Ah, but therein lies the rub. To support tanks like ours, the pet industry imports many many fish and corals, of which, only a small percentage even make it to an owner's tank.

Then there's the noob issue - noobs tend to kill lots of stuff (well at least I did).

And then there's the longevity issue - most reefers are only in the hobby for 18 months before thowing in the towel.

Sad but true.... Of course, as reefers, we are keenly aware of the delicate nature of ecosystems and actually try do minimize damage to natural reef systems.

Many of us are involved in trading coral fragments and support aquacultured corals and fish. - That's why I keep hosting those frag swaps. It's too bad you can't make this one.

I never saw Silent Running, but it looks quite interesting. I'll have to check it out. Wonder if they sell it at wally's world for $5.

18. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Bruce Dern as the protag for a change. Pre Star Wars FX, but well done considering. Simple but deep story, full of 70s nihlism, with quite a few comedic scenes. Dark, but high key.

19. Greg,

Not as colourful as your fish tank but here is a quick snap of mine.
    This is obviously a fresh water tank as opposed to your reef tank
    but it used to be a salt tank. This is my terminator "George" as my
    daughter calls him he is just over a pound in size now.

Cheers
    Robin

[​IMG]

20. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Robin, that's a really awsome shot! How did you do that?

A whole pound, eh? Sounds tasty (j/k, I don't eat fish).

And... these shots were not from my tank (belongs to the client).