New replaces old!

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by LynnTX, Sep 1, 2008.

1. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    DSC_1099.jpg

My wife grew up in a small farming community and had many happy memories of a traditional old country church there. We still visited on some holidays in the classic old white clapboard sided church that was over a 120 years old. While driving through that town today I saw this new church sitting directly over the site of the old church. My brother in law said the members decided to bulldoze the old building and build a new one. It just about broke his heart.

Others call this progress I guess!

Lynn

2. i can see why it would break his heart
    i wish the old one could have been saved.... or that this one was built NEXT to the old one
    this is NOT "progress" to me

nice shot, by the way

3. rmfnla

rmfnla

Aug 19, 2008
    La-La Land
    Not unlike all these new DSLRs replacing the classic 35mm Nikons, Leicas and Canons (et al) we all learned to shoot on.

Newer isn't always better, but sometimes it is.

4. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    Both sides

I know there is 2 sides to just about any discussion. The fact is, I am in my mid 60's, from another generation than many people on these types of forums. People like me tend to hang on to old classic things, antiques, churches, good leather bound books,favorite bibles,collectible guns, and many other things that are just not rated very highly these days. So many things that are dear to some people are just considered disposable by others.

Sometimes I just feel like a grumpy old man - LOL!

If there is one thing I have learned, it is you cannot live in the past and you cannot stop the march of time. Old familar things that bring us some pleasure, are like pacifiers for adults I guess -Ha!

Regards,
    Lynn

5. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I was christened (i think it's called) in a church from 1176 in 1975. 800 years...not so bad? lol

Some things last if they're built right. It's still standing :)
    I guess if the older church had structural issues or mold... it was time to go. But as a European, I many times wonder why so many older buildings and houses are not taken care of, on this side of the pond.

Here's the church and where my parents got married at:

The original church was of wood and built in 1128.
    botkyrka.jpg

Some interesting interior shots

6. rbellphoto

rbellphoto

Jun 8, 2006
    SoCal
    I used to work for an organization that built churches. This kind of thing happened (typically) for several reasons...

1) The church membership outgrows the existing facility and there isn't enough land (in the parcel) to support retaining the old building and constructing a new building.

2) A new church, one that has no emotional/historical ties to the old church, buys the property and elects to start over with a more modern facility.

3) The old building needs significant renovation/maintenance such that new construction is more cost effective.

Sometimes it's progress. Sometimes it's merely dispensing with the old in favor of the new. Without knowing the circumstances here, it's hard to pass judgement.

7. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    Old Church

Linda,
    That is a classic example of a well built church that lasted. I have to admit it seemed much better built than the little country church I was talking about here in N. Texas.

I have always been impressed by old historical buildings I have encountered when I was traveling through New England and the Eastern Seaboard of the U.S. Those areas that are rooted from the 1700's just seem to take more pride in preserving many historical sites, including many early churches. I think those areas of our country or much more in line with what is seen in European cultures. I visited Christ' Church in Philadelphia some years ago and could just feel the rich history of that old church where Benjamin Franklin and others attended. Some other signers of the Declaration of Independence attended there as well.

I didn't mean to start a disscusion that was demeaning to the people who built the new church in our old community, even though it may have turned out sounding that way. It was meant to just be more like the feeling when you "lose an old friend" to the passage of time.

Regards,
    Lynn

8. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Glad you enjoyed it Lynn, the church is in Sweden and there's plenty of old ones there although this one is one of the older churches. I'm a history junkie, so seeing older buildings deteriorate makes me a bit mushy inside. hahaha... can't explain it.
    And I'm not old, I'm 33!

I did visit Philly to see all those places you mentioned, while 6 months pregnant in 2005. It was great! (well, minus all the walking)