NEW!!!! .....Rokinon 24MM Tilt-Shift lens! Thoughts?

According to the link above, "it takes" a few seconds, which would be an improvement over the Nikon:

Yeah, but what does that actually mean? I'd might say it takes me a few (more accurately several) seconds to rotate the Nikon, and I can rotate it 90 degrees. I'd think if it were as simple as just twisting the lens they'd call it "instantly" or something like that. Of course maybe something is getting lost in the translation too. What I'm getting at is I'd like to see a more detailed explanation of how (and how much) you do the rotation.

I've only actually done it to one image of a courthouse. I didn't notice anything out of whack or squished, but maybe I need to look again.

I have a comparison I made a while ago, but I'm on my iPad at them moment and don't have it handy.

Simple thing is: find something simple and rectangular (or better yet, square) in the original image, and then compare directly with the 'corrected' image.

You'll notice that the proportions of the rectangle aren't the same between the two; and that the corrected one looks less true to life.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Software can do a lot, but it is generally better to get it "right" in the capture if possible. And of course, this is a specialty lens, and will not appeal to many folks.

If anyone spots any reviews or other info on this lens, please add a link here so we can all get more information on this new tilt/shift option.

Thanks!

The ephotozine review seems to show it is a pretty good lens. There is flare in a couple pictures but based on the shadows, the sun is not far out of the shots. I would expect to see a little flare in many lenses in that situation. The only thing that stopped me from getting the Nikon was the price. This Samyang certainly looks interesting.

Yeah, but what does that actually mean? I'd might say it takes me a few (more accurately several) seconds to rotate the Nikon, and I can rotate it 90 degrees. I'd think if it were as simple as just twisting the lens they'd call it "instantly" or something like that. Of course maybe something is getting lost in the translation too. What I'm getting at is I'd like to see a more detailed explanation of how (and how much) you do the rotation.

You're pretty fast! It took me minutes to rotate the Nikon, as one woul need to remove 4 screws to remove the top part of the barrel, then rotate 90 degrees, then install again. Apparently this can be done on the Samyang without opening screws, and not just in 90 degrees, but also 30 or 60. With the Nikon you could do such rotation only for both axis together.

I'm also wondering how one would actually use tilt and shift when they are at a relative angle of 30 or 60 degrees (as opposed to 0 or 90 what the Nikon could do), but I'm sure somebody will come up with an application for it.

Ok this is a cut and paste from their sites. So how is the rotation different.. except you have to remove 4 screws from the nikon ..and the wires inside may not be long enough to rotate ?
Gary
Samyang
Maximum Tilt amount:±8.5˚
Maximum Shift amount: ±12 mm
Between Tilt and Shift Rotation: 90˚ Left (click-stop for each 30˚step)
Mount Rotation: 90˚ Right and Left (click-stop for each 30˚ step)
--------------------------------------------------
Nikon
Tilt/Shift Shifts ± 11.5mm
Tilt ± 8.5°
Minimum Focus Distance 8.27" (21 cm)
Magnification 0.37x
Maximum Reproduction Ratio 1:2.7

I'm also wondering how one would actually use tilt and shift when they are at a relative angle of 30 or 60 degrees (as opposed to 0 or 90 what the Nikon could do), but I'm sure somebody will come up with an application for it.

In theory I could see tilting at an angle to get selective focus along a diagonal, although that isn't something I'd be likely to do. Hard for me to figure why you'd want to shift at those angles either, except perhaps to get some creative distortion.

In theory I could see tilting at an angle to get selective focus along a diagonal, although that isn't something I'd be likely to do. Hard for me to figure why you'd want to shift at those angles either, except perhaps to get some creative distortion.

Here's an example of angled tilt (nikon) where the plane of focus is the mound to the batters box. It's not for everyone but I'll try anything to set myself apart.

i-X3vQfbZ.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Rodney
Here's an example of angled tilt (nikon) where the plane of focus is the mound to the batters box. It's not for everyone but I'll try anything to set myself apart.

http://doyon.smugmug.com/photos/i-X3vQfbZ/0/O/i-X3vQfbZ.jpg
Cool shot. Pretty easy to simulate in Photoshop though.

The point of all my posts in this thread may seem negative, and indeed, I do think that there are better places or on better things to spend $999, but I guess if you have unlimited photo funds, then it's a fun lens to play with.

The point of all my posts in this thread may seem negative, and indeed, I do think that there are better places or on better things to spend $999, but I guess if you have unlimited photo funds, then it's a fun lens to play with.

Many PS simulations of OOF blur have looked pretty poor and artificial to me. My guess is that it may be a bit hard to simulate the gradual transition from in focus to out of focus. Maybe there is a way to do it properly in PS, though.

But I agree with your general sentiment. I had owned the 24PCE for a couple years and barely used it, largely because it was usually easier to shoot with a regular lens that does not need tripod and cumbersome adjustments, and then "fix" it in post.

Hah! That being the case, we should all just shoot with the f/5.6 lenses rather than the very costly f/1.4-2.8 lenses that we all waste our money on. After all, dof can be faked in photoshop right?!

Sure, if we didn't care about image quality and/or had time to waste in photoshop why not. I could also change the sky out, make it snow, clean up the background, etc. etc. I myself don't have the time to be creative in photoshop. I also don't get paid to do so.

Anyone clicking on this thread is interested in this lens and t/s photography. They aren't coming to find out how to fake what it can do.

-Chad

cool images. very interested on this as an alternative to some of the crazy prized Nikons. now if they enter the super telephoto market! wow.

Actually, no, its not. Yes, one can simulate the miniature effect, but changing the direction of the focal plane is only achieved through camera movements. You could try stopping a normal lens down as small as possible and then blurring away most of the scene, but who wants to suffer all the inherent compromises, setting snafu's and IQ issues with such a convoluted method?

What you seem to see as an extravagance others see as an avenue for creativity and a tool for making money.

Latest threads

Top Bottom