NEW!!!! .....Rokinon 24MM Tilt-Shift lens! Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 4116

I love what Rokinon is doing. MF or not, I think it is great.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I love what Rokinon is doing. MF or not, I think it is great.

I thought the price was reasonable...! Are the Nikon PC's AF?

I'll need some gold pinstriping for that atrocious red ring, however. :tongue:

REALLY!

Although I have to confess, I tried marking my Gitzo legs with GOLD fingernail polish so it's easy to set it up at the right height for me each time. (I did this about 20 years ago with white fingernail polish...which has finally faded away...)

However, the GOLD polish must be thicker, because now the legs are sticking! :eek:

Looks good though.....

I thought the price was reasonable...! Are the Nikon PC's AF?

Nope they're not. Af on a PC is pretty worthless anyway. PC lenses demand precision and contemplation. Nothing needs to go fast with them.

This one is going on my wish list. Behind a few, but definitely looks like a great buy.

I love the Nikon variant, but has rokinon solved the clearance issues on the D800? because Nikon certainly acted like idiots when they designed the D800 and made it unable to clear some of the rotation positions with their own 24mm PC-E. so frustrating that I may just get this thing if it clears the D800 flash.

Real Name
Rodney
When I shot my 4x5, the main movement I used was tilt, to maximize depth of field using the Scheimpflug Principle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheimpflug_principle

I can achieve pretty much the same thing on a dslr by shooting 3 images and combining them in Photoshop, with ANY lens. Shoot one at the nearest point you want in focus, the mid point and one at the farthest point.

A lot of people are playing around very shallow depth of field for special effects, which you can also get with these lenses. But for a lot less, you can get a lens baby if your desire is to achieve this effect.

Yet another use that people have been known to use these tilt/shift lenses for are panoramics. The camera lens was shifted to shoot the various frames, rather than moving the camera. Some people felt that by not moving the camera, you reduce the difficulty in stitching. However, this is pretty much moot anymore, because the newest software is excellent at stitching and even a handheld pano can be stitched quite nicely.

I had the Nikon 24 PCE until recently, mainly used it to shift the horizon up or down, while avoiding converging vertical lines in trees or buildings.

Here is another review of Samyang, which I think is the same as Rokinon. It looks ok, but half of the sample images show flare.

My first question is what does it take to change the tilt axis relative to the shift axis?

According to the link above, "it takes" a few seconds, which would be an improvement over the Nikon:

Both tilt and shift movement can be rotated in 30 degree steps independently, allowing tilt and shift movements to be aligned with each other if required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Rodney
I had the Nikon 24 PCE until recently, mainly used it to shift the horizon up or down, while avoiding converging vertical lines in trees or buildings.
Yes, that is one more use. Lightroom can easily fix converging lines now, but you do have to shoot wide enough because you'll lose some image in the correction process.

I thought that could be done, but never tried it. I guess you also loose some resolution that way, as you "stretch out" the pixels.

It also throws proportions out of whack, though it's sometimes subtle enough that most people don't notice. Architects, however, usually notice when their building looks squashed.

Real Name
Rodney
It also throws proportions out of whack, though it's sometimes subtle enough that most people don't notice. Architects, however, usually notice when their building looks squashed.

I've only actually done it to one image of a courthouse. I didn't notice anything out of whack or squished, but maybe I need to look again.

Latest threads

Top Bottom