New SanDisk Extreme SDHC 80 MB/s cards?

I use the Extreme Pro 95mb/s. I also have some of the older 45mb/s, and there is most definitely a big difference. Not sure how much you would see from the 80 to 95, but remember you will also see a big difference in read speed if you have a fast card reader. For the not-too-much extra bucks I am sticking with the Extreme Pro, for both my D800 and D7100.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I use the Extreme Pro 95mb/s. I also have some of the older 45mb/s, and there is most definitely a big difference. Not sure how much you would see from the 80 to 95, but remember you will also see a big difference in read speed if you have a fast card reader. For the not-too-much extra bucks I am sticking with the Extreme Pro, for both my D800 and D7100.
Sure, Bill - the Extreme Pro is a safe bet.

But these new Extreme 80 MB/s cards are 33% cheaper than the Extreme Pros, and from the specs they look closer to the Extreme Pros than to the older Extreme 45 MB/s cards.

Here's one test I found, in the D7100:

http://sportsphotoguy.com/d7100-raw-burst-test/

According to this, the new cards can achieve 48 MB/s write speed in the D7100 - not far behind the 58 MB/s of the Extreme Pro.

And the D7100 can achieve far better write speeds to SD cards than the D800, that's why I'm thinking these new cards will make decent backup cards in the D800...

Mike

Let's see, how to put this gently ....

"Here you go, spending THOUSANDS of dollars for all of this equipment. And NOW you want to 'go cheap' on a slower card to save a lousy couple of bucks. Next thing you know you will talk about buying Third Party, oh I have to wash my mouth out now :eek:"

How am I doing so far, did I pretty much catch it all :biggrin::biggrin:

Interesting, I did not realize that SanDisk had come out with this "middle ground" card. Where I find the 95mbs to be helpful is on reading the darned things, even more than on the "write", although the "write" difference from 45 to 95 is significant. What I find obnoxious is that the ratings on the CF vs SDHC are so different. This has to do with the different controller technology between CF and SDHC.

Glad now that you posted this, I will have to see if I want a couple of faster back-up cards.

Oh, yeah, if there is anyone on this planet who thinks my first paragraph was anything but a joke, they need a humor injection :wink::wink:

Let's see, how to put this gently ....

"Here you go, spending THOUSANDS of dollars for all of this equipment. And NOW you want to 'go cheap' on a slower card to save a lousy couple of bucks. Next thing you know you will talk about buying Third Party, oh I have to wash my mouth out now :eek:"

How am I doing so far, did I pretty much catch it all :biggrin::biggrin:
You're doing great, Bill - that gave me a nice chuckle :biggrin:
Interesting, I did not realize that SanDisk had come out with this "middle ground" card. Where I find the 95mbs to be helpful is on reading the darned things, even more than on the "write", although the "write" difference from 45 to 95 is significant. What I find obnoxious is that the ratings on the CF vs SDHC are so different. This has to do with the different controller technology between CF and SDHC.

Glad now that you posted this, I will have to see if I want a couple of faster back-up cards.

Oh, yeah, if there is anyone on this planet who thinks my first paragraph was anything but a joke, they need a humor injection :wink::wink:
Seriously, I think these cards will fit in as my "cross over" cards - meaning they will be shared by the D800 (as backup on long trips), and the V1 or even the G5... I'm currently still using some Lexar 133x cards in those smaller bodies which I wouldn't even dream of using as backup in the D800 :smile:

If I had a D7100 I wouldn't use anything slower than the Extreme Pros because of the small buffer. But with the D800 I hardly ever fill the buffer, so it's not so mandatory to use the fastest cards all the time!

BTW, I do use some Lexar 600x CF cards when I need the performance, and I have a Lexar 1000x 32 GB on order. Satisfied now? :wink::wink:

Mike

I had regular Extreme CF and SD cards before and they do fine with D800 until you start pushing the max fps, at about 8 shots in, the buffer will be maxed and there will be latencies. Since I upgraded to Extreme Pro, there is no more latency after 15+ shots.

If you are never going to push the max fps, the Extreme is perfectly fine.

I had regular Extreme CF and SD cards before and they do fine with D800 until you start pushing the max fps, at about 8 shots in, the buffer will be maxed and there will be latencies. Since I upgraded to Extreme Pro, there is no more latency after 15+ shots.

If you are never going to push the max fps, the Extreme is perfectly fine.
The cards I'm talking about are a new version of the Extreme SD - significantly faster than the older version.

The Extreme CF 60 MB/s will probably still be a bit faster than these new SD cards, because the D800 can write faster to CF than to SD.

If your D800 slows down after 8 frames, there must be something wrong - the buffer holds at least 15 lossless compressed raw frames, even with the slowest cards!

Mike

i set mines to write both to SD and CF cards with both raw and jpeg. i know it is over kill but hey that is what the 64gb cards are for.

you are correct, if I only use raw and write to cf only, it will go much frames.

Just to report back on these new cards:

I received 2 SanDisk Extreme 80 MB/s 16 GB SDHC cards yesterday. Haven't used them in camera yet, but did some card to computer speed testing (using DiskSpeedTest and also copying about 10 GB via the Mac Finder). The results are interesting:

16 GB SanDisk Extreme 80 MB/s SDHC - 61.9 MB/s write, 89.3 MB/s read

32 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s SDHC - 62.4 MB/s write, 86.5 MB/s read

32 GB Lexar 600x SDHC - 39.6 MB/s write, 84.1 MB/s read

So, the new Extreme cards are just as fast as the Extreme Pro, it seems - and both cards totally smoke the Lexar for write speed!

Cheers

Mike

Have d800. Don't shoot video, and very seldom shoot 6 frame bursts. Just at Judo tournaments. Started out w/ sd 30mb extremes and 60 mb cf cards. Never a problem. With the big buffer in camera, never a problem. Added 45 sd cards, just fine. Because of you folks, 2 80 sds should soon be delivered. The only problem on the older cards is slower download speed. Never a problem w/ these cards[knock on wood]. Can you imagine, these 80 sds are just as fast as the extreme pro, at a fraction of the price. Sounds good to me.

Mike,

Have you had a chance to compare them in the D800 yet?

Just curious. I've found that even on a long vacation, I don't exceed what fits on my CF/SD 32GB cards. (And I do back them up daily.)

Thanks.

Mike,

Have you had a chance to compare them in the D800 yet?

Just curious. I've found that even on a long vacation, I don't exceed what fits on my CF/SD 32GB cards. (And I do back them up daily.)

Thanks.
Nope, haven't had time to do a D800 test yet... Was out of town for a couple of weeks in Arizona/Utah/Colorado.

I haven't even used these cards in camera yet - I bought them specifically for this trip, but then I ended up using my 32 GB cards first and didn't need any of the 16 GB cards...

Perhaps I still have too many memory cards :smile:

Cheers

Mike

W

Wileec

I've been using the Lexar 600x and 1000x cards in my D800.

I'm along the lines of the "why spend thousands on a camera, only to get cheap on the cards" That, plus I don't want a camera card being the reason I don't get a BIF, or other action shot, that's important to me.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom