New Settings~Evening Birds and Sunset

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Aug 4, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Well.....

Determined to get consistently sharp flight shots with the X, I went out and shot something different...AF-C, CLOSEST SUBJECT and a4 (lock-on) set to ON in Group Dynamic.

This goes against everything I ever would have done with the X, and while tonight was just a first attempt, the results were consistently way better than what I've been getting in typical hazy evening conditions....

Anyway...there wasn't much flying, but here are a few...all shot in long light...

Seagull....(I know...BORING)

original.
    View attachment 13177

A few egrets....
    View attachment 13178
    original.
    original.

And lastly....a very hazy and sultry sunset at my favorite tree on the edge of the marsh....

original.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow Jim what a beautiful display of images. Hey you might just be on to something. They look fantastic. Crisp and clear as a bell.

The sunset is ver dynamic shot. Perfect.

Seagull not boring and the Egrets are wonderful also.

Very successful outing, I would say

3. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Beautiful images, Jim! Not much flying?!?!?!? Looks like a productive session to me!

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Don

At this location, if I don't have hundreds of big birds flying in an out in a 2 hour outing in the eveing...it's a slow night!

The tide was really low out in the marsh and that's why they weren't coming in to roost on time...they were too busy eating :)

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Jim,

You make it sound like a "ho hum" day of shooting. The images were great and I am green with envy. When I go out looking for some larger birds to shoot...I end up never taking the camera out of the truck. The last time I went out to shoot birds, I came home with 275 images from a HS baseball game!?!?!

Your images are always so classy...keep shooting and keep us green with envy!!!

6. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Frank...

A) thanks for the kind words :)

B) I gotta think that there are plenty of birds around that big ole lake you guys got up there?????

7. I like all the bird shots even the seagull.

But.....

WOW :shock: That sunset shot is just way tooooooooo cool. I love that shot!

8. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hey Mark...

9. bfjr

bfjr Guest

those are for sure sharp, not boring and really well done !!

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    You definitely made those settings work. Every one is crisp. I agree with Gale and others, Seagulls are not boring to me, and these are as good as I've seen.

Looks like a pretty productive day considering the low traffic. 8)

11. Jim
    Very interesting to quote Sargent Schultz, I was at Sandy Hook with a few forum members last Saturday and I was trying some different focus setting and this one seemed to work real well for me, I was hesitant to check it out since I never used it on the H. Well one must adapt to their new gear or at least until a firmware fix is released. Thanks for sharing.
    BTW take you slow night any day of the week