New Sigma HSM lenses

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by KsJET, Jul 25, 2007.

1. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
  2. nykonian

nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Yes, this is huge for the D40 owners. I wouldn't have sold my D40 if this came out 2 months ago.

3. The 17-70 is getting a great response and might be a better option than the AF-S Nikkor 18-70/3.5. If reports are accurate then I'm a bit disappointed it wasn't produced with EX build quality and it's cachet.

4. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    I'm a little dissapointed in the 2.8-4.5
    wish it was a constant 2.8, also wish it was 77mm filter diameter
    if they are going to take on Nikon, take em on all the way...

5. macroach

macroach

Jul 19, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    The 18-50 f/2.8 EX looks interesting to me. And I just so happen to have a D40 on the way, so I will have to give it a try.

6. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

The question I have, is whether these are true full-fledged HSM motors, or the cheap micro-HSM motors that they put in some of the less expensive lenses (their 18-55 and 55-200, for instance)?

7. Preston

Preston

May 2, 2005
    Reno, NV
    I have the 18-50 2.8 EX DG Macro (non HSM) & it is an incredible lens. It even scored better than Nikon's 17-55 in comparison tests.

8. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    I'd rather have the non-EX as the rubber coating that falls off ruins an otherwise good lens.

edit: although it looks like they both have the lame rubber coating. :(

9. thebac

thebac

Jul 23, 2007
    US
    Not to rain on everyone's parade here,...

Based on the looks of it, the 18-50 f/2.8 and 17-70 are micro-HSM lenses.

All true HSM lenses (and I believe all true AF-S lenses from Nikon as well) have distance windows. You can't really have FTM otherwise and still figure out the focus distance.

Also, none of my HSM lenses have an A-M switch. Note from the dpreview pictures that the switch says AF-M, not M/A-M like the true Nikon AF-S lenses.

Furthermore, not only do they not have distance windows, but they have distance markings on the front of the lens. In theory, they could skip the distance window and just have NO distance scale, but having it marked on the barrel probably means that there is no FTM, thus no true HSM.

10. Jonathan P.

Jonathan P.

Jul 10, 2007
    Appalachia
    Correct. These new Sigma lenses are micro-HSM. You can't manually focus with the lens set to AF.

Also, I'd like to see the comparison where the Sigma 18-50 beat the Nikkor 17-55. Most first-hand experiences I'm aware of are very different. Then again, Sigma's sample variation is legendary.

11. macroach

macroach

Jul 19, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I agree - I really like that finish when the lens is new, but it doesn't seem to age gracefully.

12. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    Help the newbie?

This implies that the lack of a focus window on the kit Nikon 18-55 and 55-200 indicates they're not true AF-S lenses, right? If so, what's the significance of they're not being "true?"

Thanks,

Leif

13. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Check the MTF graphs:

Sigma 18-50 Macro: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_1850_28m_nikon/index.htm
    Tamron 17-50: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/tamron_1750_28_nikon/index.htm
    Nikon 17-55: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/nikkor_1755_28/index.htm

Tamron beats the Nikon at 50mm, Sigma is very close.

14. thebac

thebac

Jul 23, 2007
    US
    That's true. the 18-55 (both versions), 55-220 (both versions) and 18-135 are not true AF-S.

The "true" AF-S means a more powerful motor in the lens (resulting in faster focusing speed) and full-time manual focus override (FTM), meaning that you can always manually focus, even when in AF mode.

The same applies to Canon, where all their true ring-type USM lenses have FTM, but their micro-USM lenses (with the sole exception of the 50/1.4) do not.

What all types of AF-S lenses share is the motor in the lens and (almost) silent focusing.

15. Is the 18-50mm f/2.8 included in the HSM?

Here is a link to Sigma's web site. It mentions the slower lenses utilizing HSM but the new 18-50mm f/2.8 macro does not appear to be included in the upgrade. I'm kind of happy it's not because I just bought one and I don't think my better half would let me trade up.:smile:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all.asp

16. Jonathan P.

Jonathan P.

Jul 10, 2007
    Appalachia
    Ahh, I thought you meant the Sigma beats the Nikon. It's close, but no cigar. The CA on the Sigma is truly bad, too (at least on a friend's copy).

As for the Tamron, I bought one because so many people said it was every bit as good (or better) than the Nikon 17-55. My copy was so bad (it wasn't sharp at any aperture or focal length, almost like extreme defocus control had been applied to all the images), I returned it and didn't bother to try another copy. I bought the Nikon 17-55 instead, and haven't had any complaints. That said, if a good copy of the Tamron is as good as the Nikon, then that's swell for all the people who saved their dollars.