New site front page in progress

Discussion in 'Site Information, Help, and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Administrator

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    We have a new site home page, currently featuring two threads by our members.

The admins and moderators on this site will pick the threads to feature at a rate that gives each feature at least a day or two on the top of the page.

I realize the page looks unbalanced with the long column on the right side of the screen. It will fill out nicely once we have 6 featured threads on the front page :).

• Like Like x 2
  2. Nice. Like it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    Hi Amin and welcome to the cafe. It's a nice refreshing touch you have chosen. I find it very welcoming when you sign is. I wish you well here with us all as we are all good and close friends here. Not forgetting all the good work that Mike has put into the site over the last 3+ years as it might not be here only for his efforts.
    Best regards.
    Mike

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  4. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    I made an exception to this guideline and put up 4 featured threads already so that our front page wouldn't look so empty.

5. Mike66

Mike66

Aug 21, 2009
    Darmstadt, Germany
    Mike
    I really like the home page!!!

6. Pretty slick (y)

7. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    As I said previously. I think this will work well and create more interest. If the images post on the main page are of a high standard it will encourage others to up their game. So to speak?like a pat on the back.;)(y)
    Cheers.
    Mike

• Like Like x 1
  8. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    So far no complaints :) How about 1 shade darker skin option (grey).

9. I think that is very attractive, using various images from various threads! :)

10. The front page looks nice.

11. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    I will look into making the medium theme slightly darker. Great for photos, but you start to lose contrast with the text.

12. I think the front page looks cluttered. I liked it better before where it was easy to see navigation.

13. I agree. As an old fogey and old member I much preferred the previous layout. I'm lost!

14. Actually, I rarely look at the front page; I have a bookmark set to go right to one of the subforums in which I'm most interested, and then I just navigate from there.....

15. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    Maybe bookmark the forum index? -> Forums

16. IMO remove the featured pics, list the forums (don't fold them into an index or a click, put them out there since that is clearly the #1 navigation tool) and other navigation tools and keep it clean. It doesn't have to be the same as it was, a new look would be good, but navigation should remain easy.

17. that's a good idea, I always came in the front door and clicked on new posts, but I may try a bookmark

18. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Could the forum list still be very visible but not take up the whole page. Then have the featured pics (much, much smaller) in a separate section on the Home page?

19. certainly better but why any pics on the home page ?

20. Mike66

Mike66

Aug 21, 2009
    Darmstadt, Germany
    Mike
    XenForo was designed to use a main Home page like Amin is using. The Forum page was secondary. I was just never smart enough to make a home page work, else there would have been one a long time ago.

For anyone not wanting to see the Home page first, a bookmark to the forum page is the best solution. I am a member of other discussion boards that use a Home page. Some I like, some I don't. For those I don't like, my bookmark takes me directly to the Forums page.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1