New Sony KDL-46V5100 LCD TV ~ Horrible SD???

I finally broke down and replaced my beloved Sony CRT with a Sony 40" LCD....they looked great in the stores, get excellent reviews both at HD and SD....and mine looks absolutely horrendous with Comcast SD.

I'm wondering....I connected both the HDMI cable from the box to the TV as well as the regular cable cord from the cable box to the TV...perhaps I should only be using the HDMI cable?

At a guess I would only have one cable, and the better being HDMI...
I have a Samsung 55" FullHD LCD and have only one cable from each of the extenal devices (e.g. Cable box, DVD recorder, and blue ray).

You only need 1 video cable from the comcast box to the LCD

What is that other cable? Composite? SVideo? Component?

Whatever it is, unlplug is and just use just the HDMI cable

Also, when comparing HD to SD - SD always looks horrible - the older the show, the worse it is (ie. Seinfeld reruns)

Also, look under settings on the Comcast box and see what you can configure for the new TV - ie. TV Type = Widescreen (16x9) - 1080i

Then look at the settings on the TV - most ship with Brightness cranked up high - turn it down a bit - it will look dark at first, but you will get used to it

I calibrate all my TV's after owning them for about a month - there are cheap DVD's that will help you do this like

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv/lcd-tv-calibration.html

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-Essentials-Entertainment-Component/dp/B00005PJ70

Hope this helps

I just use HDMI on mine. With standard definition I don't use any of the stretching or justify settings - these fill the screens but look crappy. But still, the sd looks worse on my 42 inch hd than it did on my 32 crt.

If the HDMI signal looks like crap, try using the component ones and see if its any better. I originally had HDMI hooked up and was disappointed with the interlacing effects. I tried component instead (5 cable) and it was tons better on SD signal and no difference on the HD signal.

It either was the box that wasn't encoding fast enough or the decoder on the LCD wasn't decoding correctly/fast enough. I find it hard to believe that the decorder was cheaply made though, since the TV was a 40" Sony Bravia.

There is more data being pushed through the HDMI cable since it has audio and can be encrypted, depending on the channel, the box, etc. Component is not encrypted and is split between 5 cables.

I just use HDMI on mine. With standard definition I don't use any of the stretching or justify settings - these fill the screens but look crappy. But still, the sd looks worse on my 42 inch hd than it did on my 32 crt.

True - NEVER use the stretch/zoom settings - they are horrible
Watch with the black bars on the sides

If the HDMI signal looks like crap, try using the component ones and see if its any better. I originally had HDMI hooked up and was disappointed with the interlacing effects. I tried component instead (5 cable) and it was tons better on SD signal and no difference on the HD signal.

It either was the box that wasn't encoding fast enough or the decoder on the LCD wasn't decoding correctly/fast enough. I find it hard to believe that the decorder was cheaply made though, since the TV was a 40" Sony Bravia.

There is more data being pushed through the HDMI cable since it has audio and can be encrypted, depending on the channel, the box, etc. Component is not encrypted and is split between 5 cables.

Worth at try, after he disconnects the other cable and trys HDMI only

I have never had an issue with component cable - but have had a couple of handshaking issues with HDMI

True - NEVER use the stretch/zoom settings - they are horrible
Watch with the black bars on the sides

I don't understand when people say this, they really look about the same to me. Maybe because mine is only a 40"? The black bars are more distracting to me since I watch mostly HD stuff anyway.

I would be more worried if your HD content looked bad. SD looks bad to OK on HD sets to begin with regardless of the cables used. It's like looking at a 100% crop.

I don't understand when people say this, they really look about the same to me. Maybe because mine is only a 40"? The black bars are more distracting to me since I watch mostly HD stuff anyway.

I watch about 95% HD now - but when I first got a widescreen and they had less HD channels and I tried all the settings for zoom and stretch on SD

Some TV's do this better than others TV's, but I found that on most shows all the actors looked fat

If they look the same to you, cool

It's a personal preference thing. I preferred the stretched look just because I wanted my screen filled. Since I upgraded to satellite and get more HD content, it is not a concern either.

you also have to remember that you are using comcrap. They cut the signal down to next to nothing. Most comcast hd channels are using less bandwidth than what a standard sd channel should be using. Or in the big picture, comcast can stuff 4 hd channels in the same amount of bandwidth that verizon fois is using.

I would suggest that you try your ota antenna and see how that looks.

I have 5 LCD TVs in our house and by far the Sony has the worst color of them all. No matter what I try I can't get it to my liking. Its controls do not permit me to adjust it to my satisfaction. I have a Philips, two Visios and a Sharp along with a Sanyo Projector and all are pleasing to the eye and easy to adjust but the Sony has those characteristic over saturated colors which for some reason can't be tamed down.

Both my last two tv's looked like crap when I brought them home. I went back to the store for the first one, and luckily got a service guy while waiting for a salesman. He led me through how to adjust the tv. It was night and day difference. That one was a 30" CRT wide screen. After the adjustments, SD looks just about as good as HD (on that particular tv). I think any bigger tv, and you're past the limits of SD (stretching the same number of pixels over a bigger area). If the issue is Comcast's compression, do your testing and adjusting with a regular format dvd.

For the next one, a 26" lcd wide screen, I searched the internet and found a list of settings that I tried and really made a huge difference in the SD viewing. I don't have any HD source on that TV

For SD, I prefer the black bars as I hate aspect ratio changes. None of the zoom settings were pleasing to me, so I avoid them.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom