1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New Species for me - Swallow Tailed Kite

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cre8foru, Aug 4, 2008.

1. cre8foru

cre8foru

Dec 1, 2007
    Atlanta GA
    Shot this today with some help from the local birders in locating him. I had to crop it quite a bit because he never really flew very close to the ground.I was amazed to just watch him fly. Ive never seen one before. This was the best shot I got. There are a couple more at my website.

original.

2. I'm not sure I've ever seen one Richard, Really nice capture!!!

3. johncarol

johncarol

Jan 31, 2006
    SW Florida
    Nice work, you got him in good light and even the eye is distinct. They are fast awesome flyers-hard to shoot but fun to watch. Did not know they got that far north, he should be in S America now, must have made a wrong turn. I like it when the wings and tail are in different planes. I have several differnt poses on this page-quite a few in the Glades.
    http://www.pbase.com/johncarol/nature_trail&page=all

4. Beautiful image. Very nice job.

I saw one the other day at Ramah, Louisiana. They are amazing to watch.

5. cre8foru

cre8foru

Dec 1, 2007
    Atlanta GA
    Thanks. They are hard to shoot. I shot about 50 shots..kept about 5. You've got some nice ones on your Pbase site.

6. cre8foru

cre8foru

Dec 1, 2007
    Atlanta GA
    Yes I checked and he is really off course. That's why I was so excited to see this one. He's hangin out over a freshly mowed field with lots of grasshoppers.

7. cre8foru

cre8foru

Dec 1, 2007
    Atlanta GA
    Thanks. First one for me too.

8. Nice find, Richard! The Swallowtail Kites are the most acrobatic of all the birds of prey.
    We've got some WhiteTail Kites in NM...they've been expanding their habitat the last few years
    in the SW and are exhibiting site fidelity. Pretty cool, eh?!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.