new sReala curve sample pics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yahtzee, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Im pretty pleased with the new sReala V2 curve....preserved some highlights but, more importantly, the pic looks like the scene did when i took the pic.....slightly overcast yesterday but this is straight out of the camera only resized for posting here......taken with my 28-70 2.8.....(love that BTW)....first one with no flash and second with the SB-800...any comments or suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Looks super. Good tone.

think I need one for the D100.. Too much red to deal with.

Maybe it needs to go in for service check up and cleaning. Would not be a bad Idea.

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Like so many things, there are some who like to use curves and some who don't.

I like using a curve for many reasons, and find the sReala_V2 works very nicely with the D70.

Gale - you could use Nikon Capture to create your own curve that just takes the red to where you want it. All you need to do is adjust one "typical" shot for the red only, and then save that as a curve and load it into your camera. I bet someone with a D100 and NC could use one of your shots and do that for you.

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    These looks great, how does it compare

to the WW, aka P&S curve, I'm now using on my D70?

5. Re: These looks great, how does it compare

I was using the P&S before the switch and this seems to preserve highlights much better while also giving the pics that pop that most people want....didnt hurt the cause to be shooting with the 28-70 2.8, either.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Great lens+bright overcast skies help too ;)

Thanks for the testimonial, I'm gonna try it. Now, how bout a couple shots in bright sunshine @high noon? :wink:

7. I'm interested in using this curve. Does one have to have NC to load it?

Is NC required for postprocessing of images to take advantage of it?

Thanks for your help folks. I'm new at this.

8. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Yes, NC is required to process to benefit from in camera curves. Bummer, because I don;t use the Nikon apps, they are slow and memory hogs IMO.

There are other prgrams that say they support curves, notably Raw Magick Lite, however I consider myself a moderate to "power" user and cannot make heads or tails of RM Lite, so I would not recommend trying it.

I would be pretty happy if RSE (Raw Shooter Essentials, the best RAW processor IMO) recognized curves.

9. I certainly second that. RSE is my favorite also. :)

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Pa, you can download the free NC4 trial

which is good for 30 days, during that time you can use Nikon Capture Control, a sub-program within NC4, to install the curve. Can help you w/that too.

11. Re: Pa, you can download the free NC4 trial

That is what I was planning to do, but the post of Twig above suggests that you still need NC to take advantage of the curve in PP. Is that correct :?:

12. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Re: Pa, you can download the free NC4 trial

Yes, NC is the only program that keeps all the settings in effect and displays the RAW/NEF file that way. To me that is a very important feature!

13. d70john

d70john Guest

this curve

i think i loaded it into my d70 but how do you know that its in there

14. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Not correct

The settings you apply in the camera will be the settings that effect your exposures, regardless of the editing program you use. A Custom tone curve is just that, a tone setting. You don't say if you shoot raw or not, even though that doesn't matter, unless you want to change the tone curve in raw editing.

15. Re: Not correct

Well, that's what I expected until I read some of the posts above.

I do shoot in RAW and have Photoshop 8.0 (CS) and Rawshooter Essentials, which I prefer, for converting to jpeg.

So let's see if I've got this right: I download the trial version of NC, use it to install the curves on the D70, take pictures as before, and then when I open them with RSE, the baseline RAW file already has the curve applied? Or do I have to shoot in jpeg to get the effect of the curve?

And suppose I don't like the effect of the curve - I'll need NC to remove it from the camera, right?

Thanks in advance for straightening me out.

16. Re: Not correct

The only difference between shooting jpg and raw relative to curves is that with RAW (.NEF) you can uncheck the curve and have the normal tone applied....With JPG, once you shoot it - consider it done...not sure about the trial, but if you installed the curve and then for some reason wanted to uninstall down the road i would imagine that you could reinstall the trial again......good luck..i think you will be pleased.

17. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    You can just reselect a regular tone curve in-camera,

if you decide you don't like it, or want to use it anymore. You don't have to have NC for that.